PDA

View Full Version : Sump Overflow Failsafe?

klasiksb
02/03/2008, 09:30 AM
I just added a RDSB to my system, so now if the power goes out, my sumps ability to hold all the water that will drain back to it will be exceeded.

I was thinking of drilling the sump near the top and running a drain to a holding tank. Put a float switch and pump at the bottom of that tank so when the tank is empty, the pump is off. When the power goes out and water drains in there, the switch will turn on so when the power comes back on, it'll pump that water back into the sump.

Any problems doing something like this?

Bri Guy
02/03/2008, 11:27 AM
I don't get it, If you added sand, you should have taken out some water, and your system should run as before.

Lower the water in your sump, so you have enough room for overflow.

klasiksb
02/03/2008, 11:32 AM
Before the RDSB, my sump filled to the top if the power went out. Now, the RDSB has 250lbs. of sand with a few inches of water above it in a 24" across round vessel, so a portion of that will drain back to the sump as well, overflowing it.

jamiep
02/03/2008, 06:13 PM
Can you not just reduce the amount of water in your system so the water level in the return section of your sump is constantly lower? Either that or make your RDSB sealed with the two ends submerged so that it wont drain but form a vacuum, holding the water and then not overflow your sump!

klasiksb
02/03/2008, 09:09 PM
I can't really reduce the return portion of the sump enough to really help much.

I'm not sure what you mean about creating a vacuum?