PDA

View Full Version : Long-Spine Urchin Results (regarding Dictyota)

Logzor
02/03/2008, 10:42 AM
I bought a long-spine urchin against recommendations of many people.

So far it has not moved at all but it alive (when I bump it all of its spikes move around). It was only $8 so I just wanted to give it a test.

I got the creature to help battle Dictyota in my 55 gallon tank.

Has the urchin found a good eating spot or are they normally this docile? It has not moved more than an inch in 3 days.

After discussion with some store owners (reef-systems coral farm). I have found that my only answer might be a Sailfin Tang. My problem is that my tank is 55 gallons. Can anyone make a recommendation?

I read an online article about a Dictyota outbreak in Florida. The urchin population had died and excess nutrients is fueling the Dictyota.

http://www.cdnn.info/news/article/a010823.html

scotmc
02/03/2008, 10:52 AM
You don't take advise on the Long spine. Now, you want to put a sailfin tang in your 55?? I really hope you take the advise this time. Since a ST grows over 12in. The LFS is just trying to make a sale. Aviod.

Logzor
02/03/2008, 11:11 AM
I am mainly doing testing with different creatures to help others with this algae. Not like it is hard to remove the urchin and take it back.

I have already made an agreement for full credit back from my LFS, as he understood that my idea was to test the creature with this algae.

I apologize If I offended you. How fast will a small sailfin grow?

The guy at the coral farm suggested it as reasonable idea to keep a small one until the algae was gone. He does not even sell those fish by the way.

jacksonimaging
02/03/2008, 11:23 AM
IMO I don't think it a good idea to "Test" creatures in an aquarium. Its not fair to the fish. Even if you get a small one and keep it for a while and then give it away. Its stressful on the fish and then you algae problem would just keep coming back. Then you will have to get another one. You might just have to pull the algae off your self. When you put in the Urchin did you place it near a hiding spot or in an open area. They are more of a nocturnal feeder and like to hide during the day. Good luck finding a solution but it might come down to some good old elbow grease!

Logzor
02/03/2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice jackson. As far as testing goes I was mainly referring to inverts, not fish.

I would never swap fish in and out like I made it sound. Is keeping a small tang in a tank, and letting it eat the algae for 6--8 months unreasonable?

As for the urchin he he 50% in darkness under algae and the other half is getting some light. He is at the bottom of the tank.

Should I try and move him somewhere else?

scotmc
02/03/2008, 11:43 AM
^Good advise^

I am not from the school of adding large species of fish in a small tank reguardless of size. Have your LFS do the research, if your interested in knowing. Why, add addition stress to the fish, knowing you have to return it at some point. You also, take away the opportunity of a qualitified buyer to purchase the fish. It's hard for a LFS to sell the matured fish. A ST will grow to 16 in.

HowardW
02/03/2008, 11:46 AM
Most urchins sold for the hobby are secretive and nocturnal and are seldomly seen out grazing during the day but rather hiding in crevices or under rocks. I have 3 small caribbean short spine urchins in my 55g and I didn't even see them for nearly 4 weeks after introducing them to the tank.

A better solution may be to get several large mexican turbo snails.

scotmc
02/03/2008, 11:48 AM
Moving an urchin around the tank to eat alage is foolish. Take the time and remove the algae yourself. Take the urchin back, manually remove the algae and be done with this.

Logzor
02/03/2008, 11:55 AM
This is why I am testing urchins, to find out if it is foolish or not.

Manual removal only propagates this algae as it grows back and seeds quickly.

At one point I pulled out the two rocks infected with this algae and plucked and scrubbed it to death. This caused every rock in my tank to be seeded with it.

After talking to the owner of reef-system coral farms, who has had actual experience with Dictyota, I found that it is very toxic and most invert will not eat it, the only answer is to start with new rock, try urchins, or get a sailfin tang.

The article in my first post supports to use of urchins.

Aquabucket
02/03/2008, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11754041#post11754041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Logzor
Is keeping a small tang in a tank, and letting it eat the algae for 6--8 months unreasonable?

I have raised 3 baby yellow tangs in my 40B. I have a macro algae that would get out of control if not for the tangs.

Once they get between 3 and 4 inches I find new homes for them. One of them is now in a display tank at a local hospital.

What's nice is that each time I get a new baby freshly collected from the wild it has a good supply of natural food to kick off its life in captivity.

HowardW
02/03/2008, 12:00 PM
<<< After talking to the owner of reef-system coral farms, who has had actual experience with Dictyota, I found that it is very toxic and most invert will not eat it, the only answer is to start with new rock, try urchins, or get a sailfin tang. >>>

Not true in my experiences......I've seen my mexican turbo snails wipe out a large growth of it in short order.

<<< Moving an urchin around the tank to eat alage is foolish. >>>

Agreed, every time you touch or mess with your urchin you are only stressing it out and inducing it to go into hiding IMO.

Logzor
02/03/2008, 12:04 PM
Are you sure it was Dictyota algae that it was eating? If so I want to try some of these snails.

I am not sure who assumed I was moving the urchin around. I figured that the urchin would move by itself. I have not moved it since putting it in the tank.

ryan_paskadi
02/03/2008, 03:01 PM
Most everyone here owns a reeftank. They are all guilty of participating in the trade and sale of animals plucked from the oceans for the amusement of hobbyists. We try to take the best care of these animals and form are own ideas on how to do so. A small tang is a small fish anyway you look at it. As long as you realize it is going to get bigger and have plans to do something ethical with it (new tank or give the fish away) I see no problem.

If you have this algae problem I am not sure a tang is a reasonable solution. If you want a tang and you get the added benefit of it eating the algae go for it. I have 2 baby tangs in a 55 gallon system and they do not eat much algae. I think 1 turbo snail will eat 10 times more algae than a herd of baby tangs.