PDA

View Full Version : please help


jguzzino
02/03/2008, 11:19 AM
I cycled my tank with cured liverock and live sand all the levels look good ammonia 0 nitrate 5ppm and nitrite 0. I have broken out in a bad brown algae bloom. I cant turn off my lights because my liverock has coral attached to it. Will this go away and how someone who knows please tell me.

Playa-1
02/03/2008, 11:20 AM
It sounds like its time to start adding your clean up crew

Aquarist007
02/03/2008, 11:21 AM
the algae bloom is very normal. It is caused by phosphates produced by the curing of the live rock
Eventually the rock cures, the algae eats up the available phosphates and starves itself and dies off

jguzzino
02/03/2008, 11:35 AM
So the brown algae will just dissapear?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz
02/03/2008, 11:45 AM
If it's helpful, do a quick search for Diatom algae. It's part of the cycle. There are also a lot of critters that eat it.

jguzzino
02/03/2008, 01:32 PM
Also I have some green hair algae that came on the liverock I know sea hares will eat it but are there any tangs who would eat it also?