PDA

View Full Version : Feeding advice welcome

sunshinegrl
02/03/2008, 02:31 PM
I have 2 feather dusters, a red fire shrimp, a nassarius snail and a bumblebee snail in my 12G nanocube (stocked w/ MaxiJet 900 and Koralia nano). First question is this two much flow for the featherdusters? Should I turn off the Nano when "attempting" to feed? Second, any advice on feeding? I was told my LFS to feed brine shrimp, yet as soon as I put the frozen bits in, they (a majority) get sucked towards the filter area. I was also told to put a drop of Kent MicroVert 2-3 times per week. Am I on the right road? Any advice appreciated.

rbursek
02/03/2008, 02:50 PM
If you can turn your filter off when you feed for 5 minutes or so.
Bob

jonbry123
02/03/2008, 03:10 PM
I would also turn off the pump when you feed for may be a few minutes as long as there is some movement of the water otherwise the filter feeders may not get any of the food you add. As far as using brine shrimp they are totally worthless in nutrition. The microvert food, is it made by "Kent" is a good food source. For my inverts that are filter feeders I use Reef Chili and have had great success keeping such difficult animals such as sponges and carnation corals not only alive but growing. The flow of your pumps should gently move the fronds of the feather dusters. If it is pushing them over or the animal does not extend them most of the time your light is on it is probably to strong.

Scott

sunshinegrl
02/03/2008, 04:39 PM
Is Reef Chili frozen or a flake like food?

jonbry123
02/03/2008, 06:06 PM
It is actually a freeze dried type of food in powder form that contains numerous different zooplankton of different sizes. What I do is take some aquarium water place a spoon, comes with your order, worth of the chili in a small cup stir until hydrated then pour or spot feed the tank. I buy on ebay direct from the manufacturer. Google the item and go to the company's web page, alot of testimonials. A small bottle about an oz I think lasts me almost 4 months. Feeding a few animals it would last quite a long time.

Scott

sunshinegrl
02/03/2008, 08:47 PM
Does it affect your water quality much?