PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles in seahorse tail?

raskal311
02/03/2008, 05:52 PM
One of my seahorse has bubbles in it which is making it hard for it to swim. Is this normal? if not what can I do? Other then this its healthy and eating.

rcmike
02/03/2008, 06:22 PM
What is the water temperature? I recently cured one that had several bubbles on his tail by putting him in a hospital tank and slowly lowering the temp to 68 degrees. It took about 2 weeks and he was totally cured.

Diamox can also be used but luckily I didn't have to go that route. Others will probably chime in on the dosage.

raskal311
02/03/2008, 07:27 PM
about 78

rcmike
02/03/2008, 08:00 PM
That is way too hot for seahorses. They need lower 70s at least.

ann83
02/03/2008, 09:12 PM
What species seahorse do you have? Assuming it is a tropical species, I'd recommend the following:

Ad an airline to the tank that he is in, and gradually bring the tank temperature down to 68 degrees by no more than 2 degrees every 12 hours. Watch him closely to make sure that he does not get worse, and hopefully the 68 degree temps will take care of it. If he does start getting worse, or if a few weeks at 68 degrees with good water quality and excellent feeding don't remedy the problem, come back and we can recommend meds for a hospital tank. If he gets better, keep him at 68 degrees for a few weeks, and then slowly raise the temp to 70-74 degrees; and keep the display at this temp permanently.

If the tail is floating and the bubbles are clear, it is likely that he is suffering from external gas bubble disease, which has a variety of causes, two of which are high temperatures and excess CO2; which is where the lower temps and airline come in.
If the tail is not floating but seems sore, and the bubbles are opague, it may be a bacterial infection; in which case the extra airline is to reduce the stress of getting oxygen at the high temps/increase oxygen saturation, and the lowered temperature stops/slows the growth of the bacteria so that the seahorses immune system can fight it off. The bacteria that seahorses are most prone to mutates to produce more aggressive proteins and reproduces at a higher rate at temperatures above 74 degrees; often 68 degrees can hault the reproduction altogether. And, seahorses are definately prone to bacterial infections due to being scaleless, without protective slime coat, and demersal.

raskal311
02/03/2008, 11:15 PM
The bubbles are clear and floats, I'll lower temp and add air asap.

David123
02/04/2008, 10:16 AM
Something I highly recommend for all marine tanks, skimmers, but especially for a seahorse tank.

A skimmer is a wonderful tool, rids the tank of excess protein, (easing the biofilters load) oxygenates the water, and also blows off excess C02, in doing this, lessens the diurnal pH fluctuation to a great degree.

All of this means a much more stable environment for your seahorses, and so, reduced stress and so a much healthier horse.

TheCommersoni
02/07/2008, 02:33 AM
Its a hard process.

angieg1123
02/13/2008, 12:23 AM
If you do not have diamox, PM me and I will send you some. It is a very good med to have on hand. I ordered it just to send to people who don't have it when they need it. It can take a few weeks to get and most people don't have that much time to wait to treat a sick seahrose.