View Full Version : very stressed naso

02/03/2008, 07:20 PM
i bought a naso from petland and hes very stressed shes all dark with white spots down her spine and dorsal fin. she gets the spazams and twurls around and wont eat for about 2 days from since i put her in, im just all bumed out and sad. shes about 3 inches.
temp- 78-79
amonia- zip
nitrites- zip
nitrates- zip

any helpful words of advice or is she a goner?

02/03/2008, 07:37 PM
The question is, what was the salinity @ your LFS?

They can only handle .02 increase per day.

Do you have the fish in QT? If so give him as many hiding spots as you can with some PVC plubing parts.

02/03/2008, 07:47 PM
I would drop the sg to around 1.021, and provide hiding spots for her. Maybe keep the lights off for a while.
Is she in qt or did you put her in the dt?

02/03/2008, 07:49 PM
man i didnt think about that. i had her on a drip aclimation for a couple hrs. yea shes hiding in some rocks like stuck on them with her fins you think shes gonna pull trough?

02/03/2008, 07:50 PM
in the display .

02/03/2008, 08:09 PM
now shes stuck to my educator ... man it hurts

02/03/2008, 08:13 PM
I know the feeling. I hope she makes it, but next time use a Qt setup. That way you can control things a lot easier.

02/03/2008, 08:15 PM
Is there any other fish in the tank?
Is it possible to set up a hospital tank?

02/03/2008, 08:20 PM
well the suffering is over..... back to petland tomarrow.

02/03/2008, 08:40 PM
What was the naso in? They get big fast.
Maybe stick with a smaller tang like a powder blue, yellow, or purple. just my .02. Sorry for the loss.

Gary Majchrzak
02/03/2008, 08:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11757160#post11757160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcgreaux
any helpful words of advice or is she a goner?
Tim- I'm really sorry about the fish.
All Naso species grow much too large for 90 gallon aquariums.
When you go to replace it perhaps you should consider getting something else. There are a lot of really cool fish out there that are more appropriate for your size aquarium.

02/03/2008, 09:38 PM
His tank is a 72 gallon... In my opinion, much to small for any Tang let alone a Naso.

Sorry about your lose, even more sorry about another fish suffering....

02/03/2008, 10:01 PM
thanks for the suport im gonna see what petland says about it. and im gonna be upgrading to a 90 soon.

02/04/2008, 06:26 PM
i went to pet land with my dead fish in one hand and tank water in the next. they told me the could only give me a 50% refund if my water checks out. so after a heated conve they sead let she what the water has to say. so the guy start pouring my water in the test tubes mind you they use the same test kit ive been using for the past 5 years API and ph is on the nose at 8.2, nitrates - zip, nitrites - zip, copper - zip, so whiles hes droping the amonia 8 drops fist bottle and 1 2 3 4 5 pause ........... 6 7 shake shake, (*** happened to the 8th drop) and what do you know "amonia is realy high sir thats why you fish died". i was like oh no you didnt, i told him to test over the amo because i saw the mistake he did in the second bottle, and 5 mins later bam amonia zip. so he was like we can only give you a 50 % store credit and i was just pist that everything checked out fine and there still being ignorant. so he vanishes and pops back up 2 min later with a recipet for me to sign and just as the pen tuched the paper a light bulb went off, ( what does there water check out like). long story short there amonia poped a 1 ppm on the scale. so i had the owner there comparing waters while i was coplaining that they sold me a doomed fish. so the owner seas quietly can we order a replacement for you, i told him fine but under these circumstances, when she comes in on friday i want to pick it up, and i dont want her to be acclimated to there filthy water. so i got a new baby naso on the way 2" in size. i got the qt tank filling up so i can monitor her better. :)

02/04/2008, 07:56 PM
At least you got something. My lfs have no refunds on sw fish. Good luck with the next one.

02/08/2008, 03:58 PM
well a update they did not get any naso tangs in so they gave me a baby powder blue tang and hes doing great hes been in his qt tank for 4 hours now and hes eating like a pig and looks great. :) how long should he be in qt? i'll try and get a pic, btw i name her sky.

02/08/2008, 04:15 PM
Good Luck with your powder blue, mine has grown to almost 7" in our 500 gallon. Watch him close they are very susceptible to ich. And once infected it's difficult to get out of your system. Keep us posted.

02/08/2008, 05:22 PM
A powder blue tang is WAY more sensitive than a naso. I know this for a fact because I have owned both.

There is a 99.9% chance he will develop ich.

Did you match the salinity of the LFS? It would be a good time to slowly drop to 1.009 and keep it there for 8weeks to kill off the ich.

Good luck.

02/08/2008, 06:13 PM
yes i matched the salinitly to the bag that he was shipped in (1.025) and hes doing fine so we'll see what happens.

02/08/2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry for your loss and best of luck with the powder. Might want to soak her food in garlic and selcon.

02/08/2008, 07:47 PM
sorry to say but the tang dying is you re fault..not the lfs although they should have refused to sell you the fish with out knowing you re tank size...if you re putting that tang in a 72 gallon...thats why it is stressed...the same thing will happen to the next one you get...

this is from www.marinedepotlive.com

Maximum Size: the Naso lituratus grows up to 18 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 3 to 4 inches; the large generally 5 to 6 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Naso Tang prefers a tank of at least 150 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Naso lituratus is a herbivore and likes to eat Dried Seaweed (best), marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , fresh seaweed, and other meaty treats.
Level of Care: The Naso Tang is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Naso Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.
Hardiness: this is a hardy fish.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: Hawaii.
General Notes: Naso lituratus, or Naso Tang coloration is dark gray with blue stripes following the dorsal fin and orange stripe on the anal fin. When mature may take on a reddish-brown tone. One of the more common fish seen in large aquaria, the Naso Tang is a friendly and familliar addition to any larger reef or fish only systems. Many people believe the `Blonde` and `Streamer` versions of Naso tangs are different species. The Nasos with streamers are mature males and the Blondes are merely color morphs. Excessive feeding of this fish will cause it to grow too quickly and you will soon find you will need a larger tank. Because of the growth rate of this fish it is not acceptable to keep a Naso Tang in a tank shorter than 4 feet in length as this fish can grow to 18 inches! Similar to the space requirements of the Blue `Hippo` Tang, even the juveniles require the large size tank as they need space to swim back and forth in. A 50 gallon tank is simply not large enough to satisfy the needs of this fish for even a short time. Many specimens are hesitant to feed on anything but brown macrolagae. Usually not aggressive toward tankmates, may fight with members of it`s own species and possibly related forms. Prefers to school with other Naso tangs as juveniles but as an adult will tend to want to be alone

Minimum Tank Size: The Naso Tang prefers a tank of at least 150 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

02/08/2008, 07:51 PM
and here is some info on the powder blue... from same website...i ll bet my last dollar the fish wont make it past 2 weeks in you re tank...i m not trying to be rude...

Minimum Tank Size: The Powder Blue Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Acanthurus leucosternon is a herbivore and likes to eat Dried Seaweed (best), marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , fresh seaweed, and other meaty treats.
Level of Care: The Powder Blue Tang is a high maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Powder Blue Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.
Hardiness: This is not a hardy fish.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: Maldives, Sri Lanka.
General Notes: The Acanthurus leucosternon is also known as the Powder Blue tang is one of the most prized fish in the hobby but many disregard the specialized care and attention this baby blue beauty requires. Though a weakness that is common in the tangs, ich is a very common problem with this fish. The Powder Blue Tang is often very aggressive with all other tangs but there is the occasional exception (very rare). The larger the system the less likely the problems with aggression you will have if housed with multiple tangs. Males are considerably smaller than females. Adult size is from 9 - 10 inches depending on sex of fish.

02/08/2008, 08:08 PM
George your assumption is incorrect. The tang dying is not due to it being in a 72 tank at that size. A 72 for a 3" naso would cause ZERO problems.... for a few months. Under your logic, any tang you buy must be put in QT in a tank over 75 gallons? Otherwise it's going to die within the 6 to 8 week QT?

The outcome may have been the same in six months, but to state that the tank was the cause of this problem is simply foolish.

I agree with you that a Naso should not be placed into a 72, but something else happened to that fish and to blame it on the poster is not going to help the situation. MarineDepotLive is filled with bad information IMO. Even a 150 is not anywhere close to sufficient for a full grown Naso.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Hopefully you will understand better what you are doing with your new PBT. Kudos to you for trying to get your money back... but I am surprised to hear you got any credit at all.

02/09/2008, 01:46 AM
I have to agree with xenon. Be prepared for ich. Something else I noticed with my PBT is that once he got settled in he became a little bit belligerent towards the other fish. I imagine it gets worse the smaller the tank. If you do get ich make sure the fish keeps eating and it should be able to fight it off with no drugs.

02/09/2008, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11800097#post11800097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by george81
...i ll bet my last dollar the fish wont make it past 2 weeks in you re tank...

you ready to bet that last dollar? sorry to here you feel that negative on the situation. but what a differance made by aclimating him into my tank with no middle man( petland and there poisonus water)

heres som pics of sky and he's doing GEEERRRRate:)

lookat how tiny he is compared to the temp sensor

02/09/2008, 11:05 AM
What are you feeding it? Mine loves all kinds of food now, but when I first got him he would only eat algae. So I kept algae rubberbanded to a rock in the tank for him all the time. He still goes nuts for it.

02/09/2008, 11:38 AM
yea he only eats nori on a clip and would not tuch formula 2

02/09/2008, 11:52 AM
Well, he looks healthy enough and he's eating so that's good. He will still probably get ich (mine did) but I just kept him eating the algae (with a couple of drops of garlic on it) and he fought it off within a couple of days. I made sure he had the algae available all day long.

Good luck,