PDA

View Full Version : Help with dead live rock plz

kisscouple
02/03/2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Ok long story short I am upgrading from a 55 to a 70 gallon corner tank. I have to set the 70 up and remove the 55. no problem. I just got some live rock that has been in a dead tank for months no visible signs of life under the 1/2 inch mat of hair alge. It has been in salt water the whole time very poor but salt water. I am wanting to use this as base rock in the new tank BUT I have no time to cycle it. Could I scrub it in fresh water and put it in buckets of salt water for a day or two? Since its dead any way if I scrub it womt it be ok? I have a couple of fish that will be moving also and when the 55 is down so is their home if I gotta cycle the 70. Can someone please help or give an opinion.

frank2926
02/03/2008, 10:10 PM
I would not use it in the condition it is in. It most likely has absorbed a lot of bad stuff. Phosphates and such. washing soaking will not get it all out In a short time. To get it clean enough to use you would have to soak it in salt water with a power head heater and no light keep it in the dard. do weekly water changes and test the water before doing a change to see what has leached out and or if it is coming clean. It could take 2 months for this rock to get clean. But cycling new rock will take almost as long.

camlov2
02/03/2008, 10:53 PM
It is a scary comment when you say that you don't have time to cycle it. This is a hobby of waiting, and you would expect many problems if you don't start correctly.

jaw969
02/03/2008, 11:54 PM
I would scrub the rock down and try to get all hair algae off if possible. I would then cycle it for the two days and you should be fine. As long as your water conditions are really good it should be fine. I have set up many tanks with problem hair algae rock and have never had a problem nor had to cycle the rock (and yes they were also in poor water condition , thus the hair algae) .

Hair algae is usually caused by poor water conditions , excess nutrients , or worn out light bulbs. Therefore by putting it into good water conditions , bulbs, etc.... the hair algae should not come back (once it is removed initially) I am only speaking from personal experience of cleaning multiple batches of algae infested rock.

Good luck with your upgrade!!!

Dubbin1
02/04/2008, 12:04 AM
If the rock has been in SW the whole time then its not dead rock. Live rock is much more then the life you see on it (unless you can see the bacteria with bionic eyes).

There is no way I would start off with that rock though. Do what Frank said and cook the rock for a few months.

bertoni
02/04/2008, 02:00 AM
I'd pitch the old rock or perhaps give it a 20-30 minutes acid bath dip. The acid bath dip would clean it, although the chemical used is rather toxic.

kisscouple
02/04/2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone I guess im gonna cook it for awhile. The only reason I said I didnt have time to cycle is that this was an un expected last minute score. Thanks again Bill

Aquarist007
02/04/2008, 12:38 PM
I hear you--I had a chance at a quick score once--30 gal 50 lbs live rock, deep sand bed--same condition as the tank you mentioned
I kept everything---it took a year to bring that tank back so it was usable again for fish and coral
I had the time and was experimenting--but I would never chance that with my main tank