PDA

View Full Version : Is this deep enough for a DSB? (PICS!)

Gabriel_T
02/04/2008, 02:05 AM
Hi,

I am setting up my tank and I want to know if my sand is deep enough or if I should add more.

Thanks!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z320/Gabriel_T/CIMG0598.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z320/Gabriel_T/CIMG0599.jpg

Snowboarda42
02/04/2008, 03:18 AM
looks good, go for at least 4" if you can. Its hard to tell how deep it is just from looking at pictures.

ManotheSea
02/04/2008, 06:09 AM
4" depth is the number you need to get the anorobic zone. After about one month you will see the sand against the front glass discolour to differing degrees as the anorobic action begins. You can use a plastic putty knife to scrape down into the sand along the glass if you find the colouration unappealing. Dont stir the rest of the sand bed. If your live sand has any worms you will also see them as fine lines against the glass after 1 or 2 months. Whether you see worms or not, its the bacteria action that provides the benefits of a dsb. Less than 4" the process does not take affect.

Gabriel_T
02/04/2008, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11759398#post11759398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ManotheSea
4" depth is the number you need to get the anorobic zone. After about one month you will see the sand against the front glass discolour to differing degrees as the anorobic action begins. You can use a plastic putty knife to scrape down into the sand along the glass if you find the colouration unappealing. Dont stir the rest of the sand bed. If your live sand has any worms you will also see them as fine lines against the glass after 1 or 2 months. Whether you see worms or not, its the bacteria action that provides the benefits of a dsb. Less than 4" the process does not take affect.

Damn, I thought 2.5" was fine so I filled it up. Should I drain the water to add more sand to avoid cloudy water or should I just deal with it and just add the sand. I am getting my Fiji Pukani LR today so I wanted to be able to aquascape it but I know I need the sand in there first.

xenon
02/04/2008, 12:10 PM
4"-6" is what you need for a DSB

SemperReef
02/04/2008, 12:21 PM
For a DSB in my 90g I went with 3"-4" closer to 4 to be exact. The rule of thumb I heard of was also 4 - 6 inches.

SemperReef
02/04/2008, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11760855#post11760855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gabriel_T
Damn, I thought 2.5" was fine so I filled it up. Should I drain the water to add more sand to avoid cloudy water or should I just deal with it and just add the sand. I am getting my Fiji Pukani LR today so I wanted to be able to aquascape it but I know I need the sand in there first.

Don't change anything if all is ok. As long as you have plenty of live rock your good. If you want add a fuge to the system it will do wonders for the system and keep the nitrates low (use plenty of cheto).

K' Family Reef
02/04/2008, 02:14 PM
if you decide to add more sand

try using a funnel and piece of pvc
long enough to reach down to bottom tank... pour the sand thru the funnel and aim the pvc where you want the sand to go...

works pretty well and shouldnt stir up too much of the water

regards

flameangel88
02/04/2008, 02:37 PM
WarrenAmy&Maddy said it the best but if you don't have a pvc then...
Turn off the pHs and filters. Put the sand in a plastic bag and close the opening before you put it in the tank. When the bag gets to the bottom turn the opening toward the bottom and very slowly release the opening and let the sand out and you should be fine. The water will get cloudy but shouldn't take too long to settle. Turn your pH back on one at a time and give it a couple of minutes in between.

Gabriel_T
02/04/2008, 08:31 PM
Whatever, I decided to drain most of it and fill in the sand. It is really cloudy now but it doesn't make much of a difference to me now because the water is at 25.5ppt and I have my 4" DSB and my beautiful Pukani Live Rock all in the tank. Now comes the longest part of this hobby, the cycle. :D

Thanks everyone! :cool: