PDA

View Full Version : Newbie very confused after reading this.

Davoaldo
02/04/2008, 09:21 AM
I have just finished reading this article on basic chemistry control. Now I am totally lost.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I have a 56g fish only with live rocks tank and a small 2 inch across coral.
Do I have to worry about mag at this point in time?
When i test the water each week ALK/dKH 14 and CAL 480 don't seem to drop at all, is this normal?
What is the simplest all in one direct at to tank product I can use to start of learning how to dose?
I know there is limewater and Kalk, but its all abit confusing at the moment to jump right into it.
Does "Tropic Marin Bio Calcium" have both ALK and CAL in it?

cubsfan79
02/04/2008, 09:28 AM
sounds to me that if u only have 1 coral in the tank u wont be consuming much calcium with such a small bioload,and i would use b-ionic 2 part solution it has cal and alk and is very easy to use

bmk
02/04/2008, 09:38 AM
Hi
With the readings you have there with Alk/Cal i would not dose anything as they are on the upper limits, just keep up with your water changes for the minute, just out of interest what is your magnesium reading/SG and what salt do you use.

Barry

Sk8r
02/04/2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with bmk.

You have the tests: keep records. Memory can trick you.

It's not uncommon for a new reef to muddle along for several months absorbing 1/2 teaspoon of calcium a day, and losing buffer only slowly.

Then, bingo, some bright day the 'draw' increases to 2 teaspoons a day. Then it gets more than that.

Be aware too that if your magnesium goes low, the alk and cal will tumble. Bring it up and your alk and cal can be raised again.

I'm assuming you have an autotopoff on that 56g tank. If you don't, get one.

On the day that demand gets high and you're tired of daily dosing, stir 2 tsp per gallon of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime into your topoff reservoir and keep your magnesium up. That's all there is to dripping kalk. You can have more complex arrangements, but it's a good system that simultaneously supplements alk and cal TO A SYSTEM THAT IS ACTUALLY EATING CALCIUM. Wait until your corals start growing before you need it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 09:48 AM
Does "Tropic Marin Bio Calcium" have both ALK and CAL in it?

Yes.