PDA

View Full Version : To add or not (Live rock)

BEN BOGDAN
02/04/2008, 09:30 AM
Our friends let us set up a tank in their new house for them. It has only cycled 3/4 of the way but against my wishes they have added 3 fish. Would it be smart to add some of my cured live rock from one of my tanks to ease into the final cycle or do I leave things alone. It is a 200 gallon tank with 130 lbs of uncured live rock and 200lbs of live sand. The fish seem to be doing well but I know that can change quickly. Also should I do anything with the algae on top of the live sand? Thanks, BB

kar93
02/04/2008, 09:34 AM
is it possible for you to look after the fish until its full cycled or for them to take them back?
If the rock is cured then i say it should be fine.

BEN BOGDAN
02/04/2008, 10:27 AM
I suppose I could take the fish back to safer quarters if they let me but that will also be hard on the fish? I can also go over if the fish start acting wierd to get them.

tkeracer619
02/04/2008, 10:39 AM
I would suggest they find reef central and slow down.

They are on the path to spending a lot more money then if they take it slow and research.

What sucks is they took a potentially clean tank and dumped in 3 fish that might or might not be diseased. Good luck with that approach....

Oh and no, I would not add your LR. Teach them about ammonia and its effects on fish. Then teach them how to do an ammonia test. Then teach them how to do water changes. Maybe then they will listen.

mile sq. reefer
02/04/2008, 10:40 AM
I dont think three fish in a 200g tank is going to cause a problem. Well depending on the type and size. If its tangs or large angels then I might be concerned. If its three damsels or chromis then I would not.

The algae can be siphoned off during water changes. Increase the flow to help keep the sand clean and detritus suspended in the water column so it can be removed by the skimmer.

Also do not light the tank. Let it cycle first. Keep the PH up 8.2, calcium no lower than 400, Alk at 8, and Magnesium 1350-1500.

tkeracer619
02/04/2008, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11760531#post11760531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mile sq. reefer
I dont think three fish in a 200g tank is going to cause a problem.

Yeah hopefully its not a large tang, a foxface, and a trigger ^^

kar93
02/04/2008, 10:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11760524#post11760524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
I would suggest they find reef central and slow down.

I would suggest this aswell when i first started this is exactly what i didn't do. I got the salt, tap water and rock in then went and bought 4 fish the next day. Then a few weeks later found reef central and regreted everything i had done.