PDA

View Full Version : Fuge Lighting (for Corals)

gig
02/04/2008, 09:56 AM
Currently lighting my Fuge with a 65W PC strip fixture.

Choice of bulbs, which is better, considering that I am housing some of my corals (Zoas, Leathers, Mushrooms, Galaxia, Flowerpot, all things my angels are now nipping on!).

SmartPaq10000ºK/Actinic 460nm 65W

or

SunPaq Dual Daylight6700ºK/10000ºK 65W

Which is better?

gig
02/04/2008, 01:40 PM
da bump

humptrax
02/04/2008, 01:58 PM
found this looking for moonlight help using the search function earlier...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313318&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

might save you a few bucks.

gig
02/04/2008, 02:03 PM
thanks humptrax, but I don't think that will be sufficient for corals (even though this is temporary). I currently own both bulbs, just wondering which would be better to use.

humptrax
02/04/2008, 02:45 PM
if you're keeping corals in your fuge, i'd assume that you'd want to use a light which best suits the corals you're keeping.

if you're keeping deep water corals, i'd assume you'd want to use actinics but i don't think actinics are very effective at growing macroalgae.

i would assume that a 50/50 bulb or using both bulbs in a dual PC fixture might be your best bet. then again, if i were you, i'd ask one of the lighting gurus.

gig
02/04/2008, 02:48 PM
the corals are mostly softies, shrooms, some LPS, it's a temporary situation (maybe a couple months), until I get my but in gear to remove the offending fish and get my 45G ready for them as well. I have the single PC light fixture over it now and was wondering which of the two bulbs would suit these corals best.

Once I move them back into the main display, I'll decide again which bulb is more appropriate for just Chaeto, etc.

humptrax
02/04/2008, 03:22 PM
for a temp set up, i'd go with the 6500k. i don't think actinics alone will promote coral growth especially the LPS.

if you have light hungry corals (some LPS are), you might have to get a new light fixture or you may lose the corals.

again, identify the corals, figure out their light requirements, then make a decision. it sounds like you're going to need a more powerful setup, especially if this has to run for an extended period of time.