PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Additives

NCC-1701
02/04/2008, 10:24 AM
I have a 215 gallon reef tank that has been set up for over three years. I have been using Randy's two part with very good results. I just bought a used tank that came with the following calcium additives. Seachem Reef Complete, Seachem Calcium and Kents turbo calcium. I have about a six month supply of dow flake left and was wondering if I could use these other additives with the part one baking soda? I don't think I can use the reef complete, as my MG is already in the 1350 range.
Also I typically use 50 ml each of the two part per day. So what would be correct amounts of each to add if I substituted one the items listed above?
Finally, could I use lime water to reduce the amounts of two part that I am adding to stretch it out even more? My evaporation rate is typically two to three gallons per week. Is this enough to go with lime water only, based on the 50 ml per day of the two part?
Thanks for your help.

Billybeau1
02/04/2008, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't worry about the mag in Reef Complete. It is very small.

Reef Complete and Turbo Calcium are the same strength. The Seachem Calcium is less potent.

All of these products are listed in the Reef Chemicals Calculator. You can compare all of them there and with a little work, you should be able to figure out the equivalents.

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 11:35 AM
The Turbo Calcium is like anhydrous version of Dowflake, and you can make a two part from it. Use 20% less, as I state in the article. The Seachem Reef Complete can also likely be used in this way, but I'm not sure how much moisture is in it.

I would not recommend using the Seachem Reef Calcium in this fashion because it is an odd combination of calcium and some amount of alkalinity that not even Seachem can say how much it ultimately provides.

NCC-1701
02/04/2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks !

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 01:11 PM
:thumbsup:

Happy reefing. :)