PDA

View Full Version : Kent Marine Tech CB

DLANDINO
02/04/2008, 12:29 PM
Hi again, I am in the beginning phases of setting up my reef aquarium. To this point I have currently a FOWLR tank with some inverts and a few fish. Yesterday I started adding Kent Marine Tech BC parts A and B to increase my Calcium level which was at 280 before I added anything to the water.

Questions: What, if any pit falls might I run into when using these new additives? And when can I attempt to add my first corals to the display? Or, in other words, once the ideal calcium is reached should I continue the run the tank as a FOWLR for a while before attempting coral keeping?

As always, thanks much from a very new reef keeper.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 01:08 PM
Let's back up. :) Trying to use both parts to boost calcium by 140 ppm will boost alkalinity by 7 meq/L (20 dKH). Using just the calcium part will be unnecessarily expensive, and leave a lot of the alk part unused.

Boost the calcium level to your target (say, 420 ppm) with calcium chloride. Many brands are fine, from Dowflake at Home Depot to Kent Turbo Calcium.

Then begin to dose both parts equally to meet the alkalinity demand. Calcium will follow along nicely.

DLANDINO
02/04/2008, 01:12 PM
Thank you, i have much to learn. This is very appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 01:14 PM
You're welcome.

Pop back any time with additional questions. :)