PDA

View Full Version : Water temperature

tony varrell
02/04/2008, 12:17 PM
I would like to know what the highest temperature F would be acceptable in a Reef tank without casusing harm to fish or coral. I currently have my chiller set on 81F +/- 2 degrees. My chiller is running all the time. I would like to increase the temp if possible.I live in Ft Lauderdale

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 12:29 PM
That is a complicated question to answer. My expectation is that the higher the temperature gets above a certain point, say 80 deg F or so, the more prone the system will be to having a problem of some sort if a second stressor comes into play (power failure, low flow, elevated toxins, low O2, excessive nutrients, inappropriate lighting, etc). Since we cannot duplicate the ocean in many respects, we would be prudent to not try to push the extremes of many parameters at once.

That is very different than saying that a coral in the ocean is fine up to a certain temperature. That temp may well run to the upper to mid 80's for some corals, but might be lower for others.

If your tank is currently getting up to 83 deg F, I wouldn't want to see it get much higher. That said, some folks do let them get another couple of degrees.

I target about 79-81 deg F, depending on the season, and lower in the summer/higher in the winter to offset potential problems during a power failure.

TellyFish
02/04/2008, 12:42 PM
80 deg for me.

As our resident chemist pointed out, the ocean will reach 85 deg + in some areas, but this would be extreme and probably dangerous in a reef tank.

tony varrell
02/04/2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your advise. It was quick and concise. This is the best moderated forum on RC...

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2008, 02:45 PM
You're welcome and thanks.

Happy Reefing. :)

WarrenG
02/04/2008, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering why a tank in Florida is so warm this time of year...?

Maybe some fans would be helpful, or maybe the chiller isn't chilling like it should? Fans on the chiller's condenser?