PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angelfish, Reef Compatable?

saltwaterboy321
02/04/2008, 10:50 PM
I really like dwarf angelfish including bicolor, coral beauty, lemonpeel, and flame. Flame is probably my favourite. Are any of these reef safe?

Chef Reef
02/04/2008, 10:51 PM
i dont know about the lemonpeel (do not know much about them) but the other ones are most of the time. some may nip.

hootie51
02/04/2008, 11:27 PM
I had a flame in mine for about a year and he never bothered anything. He was definitely one of my favorite fish. Added a lot of color and movement to the tank.

sanababit
02/05/2008, 12:00 AM
50/50, i had one and had to get rid of it because it started nipping at my sps

Corndork2
02/05/2008, 01:11 AM
The lemonpeel is a coral eating machine...dont buy it. Fortuntly for you the Coral Beauty and Flame are some of the more reef safe of the centropyge. I have had both of them in a reef with no problems

xenon
02/05/2008, 03:16 AM
So far mine is not picking but I am converting my fish only tank to reef so I am slowly adding corals to the tank.

mattsilvester
02/05/2008, 06:52 AM
Over a long enough time scale, the reef compatability of most angels tends to zero...... over time, the vast majority of angels will eventually realise that while corals might not be tasty, they can have the odd pick if they get bored or peckish between meals.....

No big fish is ever entirely reef safe.... I have had a regal tang eating star polyps for example...... it happens, not often, but it does happen.

There are also measures of reef safe..... do you have LR? Do you like all the little fan worms etc. growing....... any and all angels will eat these for example......

A flame is probably a good choice - historically, they are relatively relialbe for not picking. You odds can be increased greatly by putting it into a mature reef tank, where there are lots of other things to graze on, and should it decide to have a pick once in a while, it should be minor damage that will quickly re-grow. Keeping the fish well fed is another key. Also, a well stocked tank will keep a flame angel busy defending its territory, or being chased by others etc. Good flow keeps them busy also, fighting strong flow makes it less convenient to graze on corals......

All in, generally, yes they are reef safe unless you have some especailyl prone reef creatures........

But there are no gaurantees, and you run at least a 10% cahnce that he will do too much harm for your liking.....

Everyones opinion differs, but my reading suggests that the coral beauty is about the best while the lemon peel is about teh worst..... and everything else lies in between.

HTH

Matt

ctripi
02/05/2008, 09:29 AM
My flame angel lasted 5 days before he started chewing on my Montiporia despite heavy feeding. If you add one to your tank, plan on possibly having to remove it. I now have Bartlett's Anthias.

hyperfocal
02/05/2008, 09:37 AM
My Flame picks at SPS, and ate the tentacles off my trachyphyllia. No SPS have been badly damaged, but I have no daytime PE anymore. The trachy has been moved to another tank.

You're taking your chances. I think a better question to ask yourself is "Am I okay with adding one if it turns out to be a polyp-nipper?" If you answer no, look towards more reef-friendly species; trying to remove it once it's in would be a real pain. Or, to paraphrase Dirty Harry... Do you feel lucky? ;)

mattsilvester
02/05/2008, 12:48 PM
The one thing I can say about a flame angel, or any dwarf angel is that the only way you'll catch one is by taking out ALL the rocks.

lshark21
02/05/2008, 01:14 PM
I've kept Coral Beauties and Flames with no problems.