PDA

View Full Version : filling new tank

jarrett
02/04/2008, 11:57 PM
i just added my aragonite to my tank and have a couple questions. first should i leave the pumps running in my sump. second how long does it take for thecloudness to go away. and third will the tank cloud up everytime i stir up the aragonite

LovinDaReef
02/04/2008, 11:59 PM
I'm a little over 2 weeks on my tank. I would keep the pump as you don't want stagnant water, the cloudiness goes away after about a week, maybe less. Everytime I stir up the substrate, it gets cloudy.

demonsp
02/05/2008, 12:01 AM
Why do you want to stir it up?

Leave powerheads and pumps going or you will always have a dust.A HOB filter would help alot.

jarrett
02/05/2008, 12:04 AM
well i mean every time i move a rock or coral, clam ect. will the water cloud up again. the tank is a 180 with a 45 gallon sump so i dont understand how a HOB will help at all.

demonsp
02/05/2008, 12:07 AM
Rinseing the LR will help and the SB will clear up then its up to you. Not over feeding or over stocking,The right CUC , proper flow and feeding , water changes , ect..

drillsar
02/05/2008, 12:25 AM
Once you get bacteria in the water the sand will start to clump up

demonsp
02/05/2008, 12:46 AM
HOB filter will help collect this loose debris during cycle.
You dont want the SB to clump up.You want it sifted and well oxygenated.

You dont need to move clams and if you move some LR and get alot of debris then your low flow,overfeeding,under supplying CUC and these are problems that take time to show there effects.