PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halides and SPS/LPS

Tay-Is-My-Name
02/05/2008, 12:27 AM
I have a 40 gallon tank with 15000k metal halide bulb light. Is it safe for my SPS? I notice some of my Kenya trees and mushrooms fading out. The light does only stand about 4 inches above the tank because its a compact metal halide light and I'm using the legs it came with. I really don't want to lose any of my SPS nor do I want to get rid of the expensive lighting bc eventually I'll get some LPS.

BangkokMatt
02/05/2008, 04:34 AM
How many watts is the MH. Kenya trees often fade and die without an almost continuous plankton supply

Monti
02/05/2008, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11767991#post11767991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
How many watts is the MH. Kenya trees often fade and die without an almost continuous plankton supply

Well that depends on what you call Kenya trees. I usually see Capnella species referred to as Kenyas, and my Capnellas have typically done fine with little or no plankton. But I do wonder what the wattage is and how warm is the water getting in the tank when the halide is on.

BangkokMatt
02/05/2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe I should have added nutrient supply as well. I am pleased that your Capnellas are doing well. I did say 'often' in my post. Not 'always'.

Tay-Is-My-Name
02/05/2008, 10:46 PM
I figured out the problem, and yes my temp was a little too high. I lowered the temp. and i can see my SPS opening up again. Thanks for the comments guys and gals.