PDA

View Full Version : Is my RO water good

GUILLO1
02/05/2008, 01:03 AM
I just got a tds meter today and I checked my ro readings. I would like to know if my ro water is ok or if I need to replace the filter. I also would like to tell you that I don't have a DI set up with this ro system. My tap water reading is 342pp and the ro reading is 10pp. Is this good
or bad and should I get a DI?

Icefire
02/05/2008, 05:40 AM
I use RO only with no problem

cbrguy
02/05/2008, 06:17 AM
It's not horrible, but I would get a DI filter. You should be able to just add it to your existing RO filter.

AZDesertRat
02/05/2008, 08:16 AM
Thats a 97% rejection rate. Thats about as good as normal RO only gets. For $30 or $40 would add a vertical refillable DI to it for 0 TDS water though.

spleify
02/05/2008, 08:43 AM
I only use an RO unit also. I have had my unit up and running for about 10 months now and STILL getting a ZERO reading on it.
The tap water going in is only 84 though, at last test.
I have heard that a DI unit is good, but for the time being I am pretty happy with the RO only.
How old is the RO unit? If its new and your getting a reading of 10, then I would get a DI for it. If it is old and your getting 10, I would consider just replacing the RO filter you have.
HTH

Spleify

AZDesertRat
02/05/2008, 09:23 AM
No reason to replace an RO membrane if its giving you 97% rejection unless you have extremely high TDS and 1 or 2 % becomes critical. Most membranes only claim 96% stabilized rejection anyway and don't guarantee that except for +/- 15%.

GUILLO1
02/05/2008, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11768708#post11768708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleify
I only use an RO unit also. I have had my unit up and running for about 10 months now and STILL getting a ZERO reading on it.
The tap water going in is only 84 though, at last test.
I have heard that a DI unit is good, but for the time being I am pretty happy with the RO only.
How old is the RO unit? If its new and your getting a reading of 10, then I would get a DI for it. If it is old and your getting 10, I would consider just replacing the RO filter you have.
HTH

Spleify My RO unit is about 3 yrs old. I just bought a new one from buckeyes with the DI, thats where I got the tds reader from. The reason I got a second RO is because I have two tanks one at home and one at work. I got tired of hauling 5 gallons of water every week. So I figured I would get a second one and for sure the DI. I'm really surprised my old RO is doing so good. I had bought it at Costco for about 150 bucks, its a 5 stage unit.

FEEDERFISH
02/05/2008, 11:52 AM
Get a DI and it will drop your TDS to 0, and what brand RO unit are you running?