PDA

View Full Version : cheapest place to get RO unit?

silence88
02/05/2008, 02:13 AM
iam setting up a 75g FOWLR tank and i thought i had good tap water but the TDS is 130 so iam thinking of getting just a bare bones RO unit. iam on a well and have a PH of about 8 if that matters, will RO bring down the TDS mutch or do i need DI as well? is my TDS even a concern for a FOWLR? and ive seen some places online that sell the houseing, tubeing ect would it be cheeper to get the houseing and RO membrane/resine seperate and build the unite myself? ive never looked into RODI units sence ive always had small tanks and just got water from the store so this is all new to me...

moo0o
02/05/2008, 03:05 AM
if i were you, id get an RODI unit. TDS is a concern for FOWLR because you dont want any nuisance algea growing because of the extra phosphate going into your tank. you should get a DI for the reasons above.

i would get it from one of our sponsors. www.thefilterguys.biz has some nice units.

netboy
02/05/2008, 05:19 AM
+1 for the filter guys

ksed
02/05/2008, 05:56 AM
+2 for the filterguys

NWhoric
02/05/2008, 08:15 AM
filterguys all the way!!! great to deal with and can answer all ur questions

AZDesertRat
02/05/2008, 08:20 AM
RO only will take care of 90-98% of the TDS in your well water. You might have an issue with cold water and water pressure since most domestic wells run about 40 psi which would be a bare minimum for most RO systems. This can be remedied with a small RO booster pump though. I would look at a better system than a bare bones though as you will find you use it more than you think.
Other vendors to look at include:
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com
www.spectrapure.com
www.airwaterice.com
www.melevsreef.com
www.purelyh2o.com

NWhoric
02/05/2008, 06:45 PM
im lookin for the temp conversion sheet for membrane flow reduction....

maybe someone can help this thread out.... http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1309771&perpage=25&pagenumber=2