PDA

View Full Version : Egg crate for prop system?

broke1
02/05/2008, 05:28 AM
I purchased the standard light diffuser egg crate at my LHS. It seems to grow strange algae on it. I know these are supposed to leach something. There have been threads on this, but the search is coming up blank. Is the leaching a temporary thing, and what ever it is eventually completely leach out of it? It got a nice bath in Vinegar before going in, but will this clear up or do I need to order the acrylic stuff online?

tanglovers
02/15/2008, 08:16 PM
Bump, I too am interested in this.

What acrylic stuff are you talking about ordering?

Ding2daDong
02/15/2008, 10:04 PM
Did you rinse the eggcrate before putting it in the tank? Next time you are at homedepot feel the eggcrate and it has a slimy film on it. I rinse mine off with vinager first and have no problems, on the other hand I have friends who didn't rinse it and got some bad algae buildup that was never present in the aquarium before.

-Matthew

redox
02/16/2008, 04:43 PM
I am a non rinser that can vouch for the algae. I am getting ready to scrap the eggcrate I have for rinsed stuff;)

Ding2daDong
02/16/2008, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11864658#post11864658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redox
I am a non rinser that can vouch for the algae. I am getting ready to scrap the eggcrate I have for rinsed stuff;)

Take the eggcrate out and spray it down with a hose. Get bleach and put it in a squirt bottle and spray the eggcrate down and let it sit for 20 mins. Rinse again and the eggcrate should look better then new. If it still isn't mint white then repeat process. Next take seachem dechlorinator and spray it on the eggcrate, rinse with hose and repeat with dechlorinator and hose. Let sit dry in the sun until completely dry and then put back in aquarium.

I used to work at a LFS that had major algae issues and every month thats how we would clean the eggcrate. It made everything look brand new and never contaminated the reef tanks. If you are really worried you can add some carbon but honestly you will be fine.

Thanks

-Matthew