PDA

View Full Version : Seachem vs API tests?

LiveRock27
02/05/2008, 01:44 PM
I picked up the Calcium and Alkalinity(KH) API test kits today because I have been wondering about my Seachem test kits for these two. The Seachem test kits were purchased on 1/16/08. I tested the Calcium first. The Seachem read the normal 350ppm that it has been reading for the past week. When I tested the calcium w/the API it read at 600ppm. I did both tests again and came up with the same numbers. I then tested the Alkalinity with Seachem and it read at 2.5meq/L and the API test read 10dKH. According to my chart 2.5meq/L=7dKH. Tests were repeated w/same numbers.
So which test kits should I follow. The Seachem that shows that everything is low or the API which shows everything high?

Billybeau1
02/05/2008, 05:00 PM
I have found API's to be pretty accurate. Don't know why your calcium is reading so high.

I use a lot of Seachem products, but, their test kits leave little to be desired in my opinion.

Lets do this.

Tell me what salt mix you use, where you keep your s.g. at and how you measure s.g.

I might be able to tell you which test kit is closer.

Also if you add any calcium supplements.

rbursek
02/05/2008, 05:17 PM
I have been using SC Ca test kit for 11/2 years, when I sent my RC salt in and was tested, when they called, there readings where higher then mine using the SC kit, but they inferred that they have seen the same with SC test kits, I bought API and it does read my water higher but also in the range that AS test lab came up with on my RC salt samples, long story short, IMO I would trust your API at this point.
Bob

LiveRock27
02/05/2008, 05:18 PM
Salt is Reef Crystals. I keep my SG at 1.024 using my refractometer. I measured my SG today and it was at 1.024. I even calibrated my refractometer 1st. I use Seachem Complete for Calcium.

lactose
02/05/2008, 05:18 PM
In my experience the API Calcium and Alk test kits read very high when old.

You said you just picked them up but on the reagent bottles there is a date MMYY encoded in the lot #. If it is older than 6 months my experience is that it will "go bad" by reading very high.

I had this happen to me even with a new store bought ones that had apparently been sitting on the shelf for quite a while.

LiveRock27
02/05/2008, 05:36 PM
I looked at the lot# and the last four digits are 0507, so that could be the problem right there.

Billybeau1
02/05/2008, 06:09 PM
Good point lac, I've been saying this all along.

Live, since you supplement Reef Complete, I won't be able to determine your calcium level.

Check the date on your API and maybe try another brand to be sure. Salifert and Elos are good calcium kits.

As a general rule, I have found Seachems calcium kit to read about 70 ppm lower then others. :)

LiveRock27
02/05/2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks Billybeau1. I will swing by my lfs during lunch tomorrow and see if they have either of those kits. One more question, you said you couldn't determine my calcium level because I was using Seachem Complete. Should I be using something different instead, maybe a 2-part even?

Billybeau1
02/05/2008, 08:03 PM
No, what you are using is fine. It's what I use.

But since I don't know how much you dose, and how often, I can't tell what your calcium level might be.

If you didn't supplement anything, I might be able to tell by the salt mix.

LiveRock27
02/05/2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the help.

PrangeWay
02/05/2008, 09:18 PM
I'd also run the reference solution that comes with the Seachem test with both kits, you could have a procedural error. IE if you run the alk reference and can't get 4 meq/L, try again being more careful with sample size, drop size, etc...

I have seachem and api test kits for calcium, alk, nitrate and nitrite and all 4 tests of each brand give the same results as the other. The only one I had problem with was alk, and that was just not doing the seachem one exactly right (since it's such a small sample of water if you add to much or to little there can be a .5 meq/L change).

PW

LiveRock27
02/06/2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I thought about that last night, so I am going to recheck everything this afternoon.

Billybeau1
02/06/2008, 11:36 AM
I don't trust reference solutions in any hobby grade test kit. It's easy for a company to have their reference match their kit. Yet the kit and the reference can still be off. I have a Seachem calcium kit that does just that.

HowardW
02/06/2008, 12:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11778439#post11778439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I don't trust reference solutions in any hobby grade test kit. It's easy for a company to have their reference match their kit. Yet the kit and the reference can still be off. I have a Seachem calcium kit that does just that.

I think Seachem has mentioned in the past they have their alk and other reference solutions independently verified by a university lab, not just in house.

I too use both API and Seachem test kits and they are always either very close or exact to each other.

rbursek
02/06/2008, 04:43 PM
Just bought theses API Ca at the LFS last week on bottle sez Da da da 0806 the other da da da 0406 not going to make that mistake again!!!!! Do not know what to trust these API or my Seachem now.
Bob

packer
02/06/2008, 05:20 PM
I just bought the reef test kit with old dates also. Now I am concerned as I just switched from salifert due to the recent Alk issues ( I personally had a test kit that was 2.5 dkh high in testing). Lucky I like to keep my Alk higher as it really was running at the bottom end! I just sent an email to API for verification on shelf life, and will post here my findings from them.

LiveRock27
02/06/2008, 05:58 PM
I emailed API also today about shelf life. I went by Petsmart this evening on the way home (no lfs on the way home) and they had multiple API Reef Kits, but all of them had 0806 on them, so I didn't pick any up.
Billybeau1 if you were going to order test kits for your tank for pH, Alk, Calcium, and Mag which ones would you order? Thanks for the help and I will also post if I hear anything back from API tomorrow.

g-man83
02/06/2008, 06:11 PM
personally I own three diffrent brands of test kits. that way i can always cross referance my results ive found that api test kits though they may seem novice are fairly accurate to all my other tests..........test kits..API...Seachem....Aquarium systems Reef master...

LiveRock27
02/06/2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks g-man. I am thinking about ordering API for all tests and picking up another brand for the tests I mentioned in the earlier post.

rbursek
02/06/2008, 10:41 PM
Just who do we trust????? Do not that they care about this Hobby/Customer Service??? All the money we have sitting in are tanks??? Passions for it, God only knows, some day we may be the ones to Frag the oceans reefs again!!!! Just like the Christian Monks with grape vines from Europe to California!!!

rbursek
02/06/2008, 10:45 PM
I am getting to the point why test, just do what I do. add what I add when I add it, and trust the shrooms in my tank to tell me what is needed, I realy think that is what Randy does, and forget the test kits!!!!!

Billybeau1
02/07/2008, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11781633#post11781633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LiveRock27
Billybeau1 if you were going to order test kits for your tank for pH, Alk, Calcium, and Mag which ones would you order? Thanks for the help and I will also post if I hear anything back from API tomorrow.

I have a Pinpoint electronic monitor for pH. but if I had to use a titration kit, it would be API.

Alk, Calcium and Magnesium, I still order Saliferts. I like the color end point and ease of use.

I also like the API's for general results to keep my Saliferts honest. :D

packer
02/07/2008, 11:46 AM
I received an email answer from API this morning. I sent it yesterday after hours of operation for them. They sent an answer first thing this morning, so it seems they ARE concerned with customer service and give quick response. the email stated in part:

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not trust these kits after they have expired.

So it looks like my kits are fine, along with the other dates posted here from other people.

When I tested a small FO nano I set up with salifert ALK a month ago, it tested really high. I found this odd as I dont buffer it and just rely on water changes for the most part. I have been running my Reef tank at about 10dkh, so I questioned the kit. I took some water to my LFS and he ran two test using an older salifert and another (dont know which) kit. Both came back at 7.5dkh, Yikes!! I came home and buffered my tank after buying an API kit. I checked a few days later and my tank showed at 10dkh. I again went back to my LFS and his results concured. Upon arriving home I used the salifert and it showed my tank to be 12.7dkh. My CA via salifert and LFS results also was off by 20ppm lower, not that big of a deal but still wrong.

I will stick with API for now and hope salifert gets back to providing great products again as I prefer the more precise readings they provide. I do use twice the water and drops for ALK on API to get the half point division which helps refine the result.

HowardW
02/07/2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that info packer, good work.

LiveRock27
02/07/2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks Packer. I wish they would have sent me an email back.

Billybeau1
02/07/2008, 12:44 PM
Great work, packer. :)

rbursek
02/07/2008, 01:48 PM
So Tuesday Ca440 API, Mg 1075 added 5tbls Seachem reef advatage MG, tested today Mg 1075, Ca 440 API, bought a new Sera Ca kit, 660 Ca on that one. What is up?
Bob

Billybeau1
02/07/2008, 01:55 PM
Haven't tested that brand, Bob. Doesn't look like it's too accurate.

It does take a lot of magnesium supplement to get mag up initially.

LiveRock27
02/07/2008, 10:38 PM
Billybeau1 what do you think of the Elos test kits for Cal and Mag? I have heard they are good test kits, but that they are a little harder to read. I am picking up API test kits for all the tests, but I am also going to pickup Cal, Mag, and Alk in either Elos or Salifert and wanted to see if you had any experience w/Elos. Thanks again all for the help and I will post my results when I test w/the different brands.

Billybeau1
02/08/2008, 06:13 AM
I recently tested the Elos kits for cal, alk and mag.

In general, I found the kits easy to use and a decent color end point.

The precision of the kits is general, much like API's.

You can get double the precision by doubling the water sample but this requires twice as much reagent.

The accuracy was good.

www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1306742

LiveRock27
02/08/2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the link to your other post. I think for now I am going to stick w/API on all tests and get Salifert to double check Cal, Alk, and for Mag. Thanks again for your help w/all my questions.

packer
02/08/2008, 01:00 PM
Lately the salifert ALK ones are questionable. I would stick with API or Elos.