PDA

View Full Version : Old salt bucket as a kalk reactor

spazthecat
02/05/2008, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I was going to buy a kalk reactor... then I saw how expensive they are.... So, I thought I'd use an old salt bucket with lid plus an old powerhead to make my own kalk reactor.

My question is, do you think the salt bucket is air tight enough to avoid excessive degradation?

Thanks,

Andy

bertoni
02/05/2008, 05:19 PM
The bucket doesn't need to be air-tight to avoid degradation:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

I use 5g water jugs without the tops.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/05/2008, 05:24 PM
I would try to retain the rubber ring seal for the top, if there is one, to seal it as best you can, assuming you are going to be frequently stirring it. Unstirred limewater needs no good seal, but frequent stirring in the open air is not a good idea.

bertoni
02/05/2008, 05:25 PM
Hmm, good point. I forget about the auto-stirring part. Sigh.

spazthecat
02/05/2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks. I did see that article.

Perhaps I should expand a bit on my plan. I do not plan on using the bucket as a still reservoir. It will sit on a shelf about 1 foot above my tank. The bucket will be plumbed to my RO system for a constant supply of fresh water (simple mechanical float valve). About 1/2 way up the bucket I have an outlet that goes to the float valve of my sump.

I also was going to drop a small powerhead into the bottom of the bucket and have it come on once during the night to stir things up a bit.

Thanks,

Andy

spazthecat
02/05/2008, 05:30 PM
The lid is pretty well sealed. When filled, if tip it over, it doesn't leak. I also was planning on putting a 1 inch bulkhead in the top of the lid so I don't have to take the whole thing off to add more kalk.

Thanks,

Andy

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/05/2008, 05:33 PM
If it doesn't leak when tipped, it is sealed adequately. :)

wolf pup
02/06/2008, 10:03 AM
I tried this with the IO buckets and could not get a seal on the top that would work - every time I pressurerized the bucket it leaked like crazy. Gave up and just mixed into my top off bucket using RHF's sugestions in other posts. Hopefully you may have better luck than I did.

spazthecat
02/06/2008, 10:53 AM
Hi,

In this instance, the bucket won't be under pressure. I have it sitting above the sump so that it can gravity feed the float valve in the sump.

I think if I did try to pressurize it, it would leak pretty badly like you observed.

Andy

shikhyung
02/11/2008, 12:24 AM
HI, I am confused. What frequently stirring here meant?
Dosen't it only stir when mixing the lime , after that let it settle down till the next batch?
If I need to top off 2 gallons/day, should I mix at once in a large batch for 4-5 days use?
Thanks. Shin.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/11/2008, 04:56 AM
HI, I am confused. What frequently stirring here meant?
Dosen't it only stir when mixing the lime , after that let it settle down till the next batch?

In a limewater reactor (as opposed to a still reservoir) one is almost continually adding water and so needs to stir to get some solid lime to dissolve. :)

shikhyung
02/11/2008, 11:20 PM
I see. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/12/2008, 04:58 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)