PDA

View Full Version : Best Maxi Mod and why?

ahullsb
02/05/2008, 09:52 PM
I want to mod one of my Maxi's. I was thinking of one of the 600's, but have a Maxi 1200 I could mod as well. I've seen a number of kits out there, what is the consensus on them? I'm most interested in ease of use and build quality. Which would you recommend?

I have a 55 with a Rio 2500 return. Already have a Koralia #3, and Maxi's on a wavebox. 2 Maxi 600's, and 1 1200. I guess I have options on what to mod.

Dakota Reef
02/05/2008, 10:34 PM
I picked up the Sure Flow Kit from Algae Free a few weeks ago and I'd recommend it. I've done my own mods and had an Eco-Mod that only lasted a week before it started rattling.

The Sure Flow kit comes with two prop choices and has been plug and play. I also like the swivel mount it comes with although you'll need to provide your own magnet mount.

You'd have your choice of 1400 gph with the smaller prop on the Maxi 600 or 2100gph with the larger prop on the Maxi 1200 (according to their rating chart).

madreef_7K
02/05/2008, 10:43 PM
I would second Dakots reef's comments. I just put two in my 90 reef tank. There was a storm in my tank for a while and when things settled, all my sps had big polyp extentions. I am glad I made than change and would recommed it!

SoGoneRG
02/05/2008, 10:55 PM
Gulf stream 2....www.tritonaquatics.com

If u think this mod is amazing...try it for the koralia 4's..checkout my other thread...;)

ahullsb
02/05/2008, 10:55 PM
I have a couple hangers left from the maxi's. Could I still use them or does the mod change the way the pump hangs? If not what did you use for your own magnet mount?

madreef_7K
02/05/2008, 11:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11775460#post11775460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoGoneRG
Gulf stream 2....www.tritonaquatics.com

If u think this mod is amazing...try it for the koralia 4's..checkout my other thread...;)

Price is a big factor here. I am getting same result with MJmods ($15 MJ + $15 mod) compare to Koralia4 (~$50):D

Dakota Reef
02/06/2008, 09:04 AM
With the mod, the water flows out what used to be the bottom of the MJ so the pump needs to be oriented differently.

Seems like I recall someone gluing the holder clip to the top of their MJ so it could be used with the hanger. Spend a little time looking over one of the MJ Mod threads in the DIY section and you should find something.

I opted for the magnet mounts as it gave me more flexibility in placement. Many vendors, Premium Aquatics and Marine Depot for example sell the magnet mounts. You can also buy your own epoxy coated magnets from places like Gauss Boys or KJ Magnetics and glue them to your swivel mount.

ahullsb
02/06/2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you

seapug
02/06/2008, 02:29 PM
I've used both the Eco Mod and the Sure Flow. Eco Mod seemed a little quieter but the SureFlo comes with the ball pivot mount. I just super glued the normal MJ suction cup thing to the pivot base.

What I want to know is why none of these manufacturers include EVERYTHING with the kit, especially considering how expensive they are. There's always something missing that you have to buy separately gerry-rig on your own.

A. Grandis
02/15/2008, 01:56 AM
how can we place the Ecomod with maxi-jet in the new position? I normally use the plastic support with one suction cup that comes with the maxi-jet to place the pump close to the surface in the tank, but if we change the position there is no place to put that plastic. I donĀ“t want to use the 3 suction cups because it would have to be placed on the front glass.
We must have a way to do it. Should it come with the kit?
Thanks,
Grandis.

wineo
02/15/2008, 12:16 PM
Will these mods create the same swirling effect as the Koralia's? I was looking to buy a Koralia 2 but a lot cheaper to go to the mod.

seapug
02/15/2008, 01:23 PM
yes, they basically convert the MaxiJet Powerheads into direct drive propeller pumps like the Koralias.