PDA

View Full Version : why isnt my skimmer skimming

CGUTH
02/05/2008, 10:48 PM
i have the dreaded coralife super skimmer 125. it has a mag 7 running it. it produces bubbles, and some of them overflow into the cup, but they are just like white sea foam. no discoloration or stinky smell. the tank is a recent set up, so that may be the cause. it has no fish, just some 70 pounds of live rock out of a three year old tank that i bought over the weekend. it did come with some shrooms on the rocks, not to mention the aptasia as well. the shrooms are doing great, and there are some snails moving around in the tank. so, is it because the tank is not old enough with not that much of a bioload? or will a skimmer not skim so good with fresh saltwater? or is my skimmer just a piece of junk?

GSMguy
02/05/2008, 11:00 PM
the mag7 is not a needlwheel pump you need to run it with a needlewheel or meshwheel pump.

BLKTANG
02/05/2008, 11:44 PM
IME they are junk.I tried all types of needelwheel pumps,& never got 1 good cup of skimmate from that skimmer.

I went back to G series skimmers,& would never buy anything else.LMO.

JCTewks
02/06/2008, 12:27 AM
IMO the RIO that cmae with the SS is better than a MAG7. Like GSMguy said, you need a meshwheel or needlewheel to run that skimmer. I have a modded coralfe SS 125 that gives me a good 1cup a day of skimate (if it doesn't overflow :))

IMO the ASM Gseries are overpriced for what you get.

garyw68
02/06/2008, 05:53 AM
I ran a gx-2400 on my ccs 120 with very good results. It turned the skimmer into a monster....IMO

afelder
02/06/2008, 12:48 PM
I actually had better results with my CSS220 than I did with my Euroreef. Get a good needlewheel or meshwheel pump and it will skim very nicely

GSMguy
02/06/2008, 01:05 PM
ive heard the same they are junk line about the Asm Gs as well many times in fact....

if you can inject air and water into the CSS properly it will skim.