PDA

View Full Version : New rabbitfish, Missing Firefish

Mscott203
02/06/2008, 08:13 AM
So, Like the title sais our 2 firefish have been missing ever since we added a rather large goldspot rabbitfish to the tank. here's a pic
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/mscott203/IMG_1130.jpg
1) I have found them before having gotten stuck in the overflows, usually 1 at a time though.
2) They always sleep together in the same spot in the tank and they've been missing from that spot each night too.
3) I havn't seen them anywhere hiding yet.
4) there's nothing in the tank that eats fish, regardless of how small (that I've ever seen)
5) our gang of nassarius snails do seem to be predatory at times (ours do attack and kill turbo snails when they fall into the sand, they are viscious - probably they are whelks I am thinking (bottom left of picture) and they are extremely efficient at cleaning up dead fishes so this is a possibility.
6) they might have jumped, but both together?... and I havn't found them on the carpet yet. (maybe the cat ate them if they did)
7) our orange spot goby has been in hiding since the rabbit fish addition, but is easy to find.

best case scenario - they are just hiding and will come on back out eventually.

any other thoughts about this fish compatibility issue?

LobsterOfJustice
02/06/2008, 09:34 AM
My rabbitfish is a timid baby. The only way I'm thinking it could be his fault is if the firefish saw him and went "^&@% BIGGER FISH!" and jumped or hid. Firefish are even more timid babies :)

superedge88
02/06/2008, 09:45 AM
Probaby just hiding and will come out eventually, though there is a possibility that one jumped, and now the one in the tank is too timid to come out on his own.
Side note, do you know how big that orange spot rabbit gets?!! I hope you have a HUGE tank to put him in in about a year-two years.

gabe3d
02/06/2008, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking on the same line as LobsterOfJustice, they are extremely docile with smaller fish. I'm thinking your firefish are just hiding. I have the same exact rabbitfish but not as big and it annihilated my entire population of zoas within a week.

Mscott203
02/06/2008, 10:28 AM
ouch, all your zoos!

so far he's been a model citizen in his 125 reef, other than for scaring the gobies.(I will be keeping a close eye on my zoos though, he's been picking greedily at the turf algae that we have growing and eats nori heartily)

yeah, i've read that he gets up to 16 inches. He's a beautiful fish and if he holds those colors through adulthood and stays relatively reef safe, he should be easy to donate or sell to a bigger tanks owner. I expect it will be a while before that happens though. We have friends with bigger tanks should that become necessary.

Not really any information out there on these guys at all though so any other experiences you all have please share.

superedge88
02/06/2008, 11:39 AM
I have one in one of my display tanks, he is about a foot and a half long. I wouldn't put him in anything less than a 1000 gallon tank, and even that would be a bit small. They do keep there beautiful colors through adulthood.