PDA

View Full Version : glue or zip tie rock

reefaluva
02/06/2008, 02:47 PM
I am pretty sure I will be getting some marco rock for valentines day lol. Was wondering which would be better to use super glue, epoxy or just zip ties? I can never seem to make anything cool by stacking the rocks in my tank since my hugge brittle always seems to knock them over or mess it up. Any ideas? Or someone who has done it with there rock.

gws76
02/06/2008, 03:24 PM
I've tried the aqua epoxy, it works if you let it setup long enough (the package reads that you should let it set up for at least 30 min.,but it takes longer than that). The best solution I've found(from others advice) is to use the zip ties. I drilled some small holes thru my live rock and zip tied them together. I ended up with a few zip ties showing, but the coralline covered them up.

Capt_Cully
02/06/2008, 03:24 PM
use holdfast epoxy

ball it up, put a dap of GEL (must be gel) superglue on each side of it. put it on the rock, then set the other rock on top of it. It won't set right away so it has to be a ballanced aquascape. But once it does cure (underwater) it' will hold pretty well. But not so well that you can't get it apart.

There are many other ways. That one has worked for me. See what others say too.

reefaluva
02/06/2008, 04:21 PM
The hold fast stuff seems good, I like how you can still pull apart if you need to. Where can I find some of that stuff? I will prob also use zip ties lol kinda fail proof it. Thanks for the info

Capt_Cully
02/06/2008, 04:59 PM
You can get it at your LFS otherwise order it online.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3961&Ntt=epoxy&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

reefaluva
02/06/2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks! Was going to make an order from them anyway)

bprinehart
02/08/2008, 12:54 AM
One thing about the Holdfast. I've noticed that it won't ever cure quite completely underwater. However, when I got some reef bones, I did the aquascaping out of water, and left the pieces out for about two weeks just hanging out before I set the tank up. When I went back to them, the holdfast had become rock hard, and I can pick the entire 'scape up by one piece of rock!

Just to test and see how fast it actually hardens, I epoxied two small pieces together, and out of water in about 4 hours it's pretty close to as hard as it's gonna get. For some reason it never quite gets that cured under the water for me. YMMV.