PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an aquacontroller that uses OSX?

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 03:16 PM
anyone? bueller?

crumbletop
02/06/2008, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, I will not be of much help, because I use both, but not together. I don't use the aquanotes program -- just have the controller cranking away all by itself.

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 04:45 PM
Excellent.

I wrote a widget (its not apple pretty yet) thats still in a beta state, to get the controller information. Pretty handy having all that at the touch of F12. If you want to download it from here (http://homepage.mac.com/chuck.collins/FileSharing1.html) and give it a try, Id really appreciate it.

You are going to need python, which Im pretty sure comes preinstalled on the mac. If not you can grab it here (http://www.python.org/download/mac/)

crumbletop
02/06/2008, 04:51 PM
My controller doesn't have the serial port, unfortunately. That's cool you are writing a widget though :)

I wrote one a while back called mightymonitor that shows the battery status of the wireless mighty mouse and the wireless keyboard.

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 05:00 PM
Crap. Is it a junior?

crumbletop
02/06/2008, 05:04 PM
Yep, its a jr.

fallinapart
02/06/2008, 06:20 PM
I have the serial port on the Jr. but no cable and in fact no serial port on my computer, and not sure aquanotes will run in vista either. So not sure why I got the one with the serial port :( (seemed like a good idea at the time :) )

wish I could help you out chuck but I'm a windows type guy.....

Norman

NeveSSL
02/06/2008, 08:27 PM
I've got a cable for ya, Norman... we could even do a bit of soldering and setup an auto top off switch for ya, if you'd like. Once upon a time I was planning on getting an AC Jr.... until Ryan decided to sell his Aquatronica. :D Just let me know. :)

Chuck... I know there's an AMAZING application for Aquatronicas thats cross-platform. Doesn't do you any good (and I think I'm the only one so far with an Aquatronica), I know, but check it out (http://reef.gamma.za.net/home/aquatronica_data_logger.dot) just for the fun of it if you'd like. Its really, really nice and has some GREAT graphing functions.

Also, this guy built this app (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1220857) in like 4 hours. The bulk of it, anyway. Absolutely AMAZING programmer.

Brandon

fallinapart
02/06/2008, 08:57 PM
Brandon, I would l would like to try the cord you have, I just got an email for Neptune systems and it works in Vista, so all I need is the cord. I'll call you friday afternoon if that's ok.

BTW I already have auto top off for the tank and the ro/di holding tank, but thanks for the offer on that.

Norman

NeveSSL
02/06/2008, 08:59 PM
Cool deal, Norman!

Friday afternoon would be fine. :)

Brandon

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 09:45 PM
Thats actually pretty neat brandon. I've got something like that as well. I was kinda irked that
a) aquanotes doesnt work on osx
b) it doesnt log to a database
c) no open source programs for any controllers
d) everybody uses something different

I created the same kind of app for the aquacontroller. Its pretty basic right now, but its written in python, connects to the controller to log all data to a mysql database, modify program parameters etc. Its just something I've been playing around with to learn python a bit better. The idea is that each controller type is essentially a module. You plug in whichever module exists for your controller which all feeds back to the same generic data types. Cross platform, cross controller, open source, everybody wins.

I wanted to create this in the context of a personal reef website tool as well, so you can plug and play neat little widgets like you find at http://www.carlosreef.com/ Think of the ph graph as a "widget" that you would click to add on to your site.

The osx widget I wrote goes along the same lines as well, plug it in for your aquacontroller. I'd really like to finish banging out a basic prototype for the aquacontroller, and hopefully generate some interest from some of these other programmers for the aquacontroller and others.

NeveSSL
02/06/2008, 10:00 PM
Didn't realize until now that you're a programmer, but I thought you may enjoy it, anyway. :) The guy who did Aquastats was accused of being a borg... :lol: He seriously codes like nothing else I've ever seen... it was ridiculous! You could ask him for a feature and he'd literally have it implemented (and implemented WELL) within an hour or three. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I remember Neptune bought some software that a guy had created for the Aquacontroller, and I was hoping the guy at Neptune (his name escapes me at the moment) would do something with it, but he never did. They really need better software and not cost so dang much. That was definitely one thing that turned me off with Neptune. I do like the "if/and" approach to programming it, though.

Exactly what do you mean, Chuck, on c and d? I thought there was an open source type controller going on... but maybe not. I'll have to dig around.

So on your app, are you wanting an app thats universal? IE, can be used with most controllers? That would be awesome!

I really like the website tool idea. I wish RC would allow for "active" signatures so you can put your tank specs in. Nothing major, but something fun to play with. :) I've talked to Carlos a bit in the Neptune forum... dude has a great website. I will be VERY happy just to get a basic website up soon... I work with a chick who is a graduate student in mass comm and has a lot of design experience... I'm thinking about paying her to make me a template... I haven't done html since high school. :D

Let me know how it goes! FWIW, I'm sure the guy who did the Aquastats wouldn't mind sharing some info on the Aquatronica stuff... I know its read only off of the Ethernet module (which I have yet to get, but is pretty much next on my list) and he mentioned something about "Ajax". My programming knowledge is limited. :)

Just FWIW, and I think this may actually kind of come with the territory, but his app can be run remotely for database functions (IE from a computer at work assuming firewalls don't get in the way) and you can setup another Aquastats to read the other one so you don't have to have a computer at home on all the time. :) Pretty nice! Since I have full administrative access to our server in the library for Ghosting our computers and maintaining our images, I'm thinking about asking my boss if she minds if I run my database from there... its not behind any firewalls, either, which will help simplify setup (along with a static IP). :D I don't think she'll mind, but even if she does I may just setup a computer in our lab and run it. First, I must get an ethernet module, tho... heh.

Anyway, more than enough blabbing out of me... keep me updated!

Brandon

waynesworld
02/06/2008, 10:12 PM
I have an ac III but have not used it for nothing but testing Chuck if you want a free meal some time you can come help set it up :) I was waiting to get things the way I wanted but that never seems to happen

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 10:13 PM
Exactly what do you mean, Chuck, on c and d? I thought there was an open source type controller going on... but maybe not. I'll have to dig around.

Thats right brandon. When it boils down to it, every controller is getting the same data, that which is provided by our reef tanks. We just go about it a different way. By coding plugin modules for each controller, we can spend a little time getting the grunt communication work out of the way, and spend a lot of time adding features to the web app.

Let me know if you dig anything up with some open source software.

ocd_mariner
02/06/2008, 10:14 PM
I'd be happy to help you set it up wayne. Maybe sunday afternoon before the aquarium shindig?