PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing my sump

Jester_42
02/06/2008, 05:33 PM
I'm making the slow transistion from a 55g FOWLR to reef keeping. I am currently working out the details of a sump I will be adding to the system in the near future.

I've got a schematic drawn out and am pretty satisfied with the design, the only thing I'm hung up now is the plumbing.

The overflow box will have a 1" drain on it. From what I understand this translates to 300gph draining out of the display tank. The return pump will be about 4' beneath the display tank. I'm looking into using a Danner Mag-Drive 5, rated for 500gph, as the return pump. My question here is whether there are other variables I have to take into account that will ultimately detract from the ability to match the 300gph input from the display tank? Do the pipes and joints used also count in determining the size of the return pump's output? I've seen designs where a ball-valve is used to redirect outflow from the return pump back to the refugium if flow is too high, does anyone have any experience with this?

One of the primary appeals of the sump, to me at least, is to unclutter my display tank. I originally had planned on plumbing some PVC type jets on the return line in place of power heads to provide water movement. I realize now that there probably isn't going to be enough pressure in the line to do so. So I'm looking at alternatives. I've seen some people mention "closed loops systems used with wavemakers" I'm not quite sure what is meant by this, or how it fits into the display/sump/refugium system. Can anyone shed light on this?

Finally, if anyone has suggestions for inconspicuous powerheads, or even better, what kind of flow I should be trying to achieve (i.e. where do you aim them?) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all :)

shyland83
02/06/2008, 06:42 PM
with head pressure and turns you wont actually get 500gph. on the RC homepage there is a head loss calculator. if i had to guess you will be well under 300gph actual flow.

Jester_42
02/06/2008, 07:11 PM
does this mean I should get a more powerful return pump?

kgross
02/06/2008, 07:16 PM
With only having 300 gph drain, the mag 5 will be fine. Plumb it with 1 inch pipe, and put a valve just after the pump so it does pump more than your overflow can handle you can turn it down a little. If you plan on upgrading your tank at any time getting a mag 7 would be a much better deal for not much more money and with the valve you can slow down the flow if you need to.

Kim

jthao
02/06/2008, 10:25 PM
i thought 1" drains do more than 300gph.

kgross
02/06/2008, 10:29 PM
Depends on how deep the water is above the bulkhead. But this amount could be from the design of the overflow box, not the fact that it has a 1 inch bulkhead.

Kim

MMM33732
02/07/2008, 12:15 AM
1" flows approx. 600gph. But like kgross said, the actual design of the overflow could be what is limiting it to the stated 300gph.

otto486
02/07/2008, 11:05 AM
Can't wait to see pics!