PDA

View Full Version : Anampses chrysocephalus (tamarin wrasse)?

mrwilson
02/06/2008, 05:53 PM
What have experiences been like for people who have kept anampses chrysocephalus (aka tamarin, red-tail, or psych-head wrasse). In doing a little research, it appears that keeping them long-term can be difficult, as it apparently is tough to get them eating prepared foods sufficiently (sort of similar to what a lot of people say about leopard wrasses). Super cool-looking fish, though.

Anybody ever keep one with good success? Any secrets or feeding tips?

How about reef-safe-ness with smaller inverts like shrimp, crabs, etc.?

(I recently asked for opinions about these on my local forum, but I thought I'd expand the discussion a bit.)

philter4
02/06/2008, 06:25 PM
I collected a juv in HI in oct 2006, I know that isn't long term, but it is still alive and eats everything including flake. It has more then doubled in size from the 1 1/2 inch tiny fish that I thought would get lost in my reef to a 4 inch monster that had to be moved to my FOWLR. It was picking on my christmas tree worms and small shrimp so I moved it. It didn't actually kill any of them, but it was pestering them almost non stop.

Good luck if you try one.

bradleyj
02/06/2008, 06:50 PM
I have had my female red tail for well over a year now and eats all of the prepared foods including pellets, she has also doubled in size. I also have a small yellow tail that has done very well for the last 3 months. Both are great additions to the reef and I get more comments on tthem then I do on all of my fairys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/225%20g%20%20reef/100_6084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/225%20g%20%20reef/100_6018.jpg

Cantonesefish
02/06/2008, 06:55 PM
Unfortunately, I've had a bad experience with the tamarins. I had a yellowtail but it refused to eat and didn't make it... I would suggest asking if the fish eats before buying it.

mrwilson
02/06/2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone, and great pics, Bradleyj. I've never seen a yellow-tailed one before - is it the same species but a different color morph, or a separate (but obviously closely related) species? Any differences in behavior or care?

bradleyj
02/06/2008, 11:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11784104#post11784104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrwilson
Thanks everyone, and great pics, Bradleyj. I've never seen a yellow-tailed one before - is it the same species but a different color morph, or a separate (but obviously closely related) species? Any differences in behavior or care?

Its a seperate species, but closely related, and very similar behavior. Both of them are always going in and out of the rocks looking for bugs. They both bury in the sand at night. Both of them seem obliviouse to others also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/225%20g%20%20reef/100_5645.jpg

LargeAngels
02/11/2008, 03:17 PM
I have an almost male psych-head and a small female. I've had them for a few months now and they have both done really well and have gained size. Also have one Anampses neoguinaicus for close to a year. All are doing well. Key for me is to feed often and they prefer mysis. I feed them both the large and small variety of mysis. They will also eat spectrum pellets. They are really cool energetic wrasses and when they eat food they make this really loud snapping sound.

zemuron114
02/11/2008, 05:12 PM
male psych heads are nearly impossible to keep long term. They are hands down the worst shippers i deal with and very rarely bounce back after the stress. I do however get them to eat very easily - its the shipping that kills them. I would suggest buying them from a LFS after they acclimate (if they do) rather then an online vendor.

plateboy3293
02/22/2008, 05:08 PM
What type of fish is that in the second pic bradleyj?

JokerGirl
02/22/2008, 07:16 PM
I've had my Pearl/New Guinea Wrasse (A. neoguinaicus) for about 8 months now. It came in at just a bit over 1/2" long. It is now almost 4" in length. It eats everything that goes in my tank from flake to mysis to cyclopeeze, as well as grazing on the pods available.

I would say that these fish certainly need some sort of a fuge to be set in place for some time before introduction, as they never stop feeding on the pods.

Otherwise, it's done extraordinarily well. Great fish, lots of personality.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/JokerGirlsPhotos/DPP_0032.jpg

bradleyj
02/22/2008, 07:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11915566#post11915566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plateboy3293
What type of fish is that in the second pic bradleyj?

A Yellow tail tamarin wrasse.
Very nice wrasse Jokergirl