PDA

View Full Version : Just Goes To Show Ya. Testing For Calcium.

ReefSparky
02/06/2008, 07:35 PM
I've been testing for Ca since I decided to go reef Nov 1st. I could never get Ca into the 400s, and I decided to buy a 2-part solution. After adding it as the instructions say, Ca elevation was negligible. I was convinced it would be weeks before I saw an accumulation of Ca sufficient to show a real difference in testing. Since Nov 1st I have been testing for Ca with the same test kit. Since I purchased the 2 part solution, I've been testing almost daily with the same results.

I use a Ca testing kit with 3 fluids. First is 7 drops, then the second bottle is 3 drops. The 3rd bottle is the titration bottle, whose number of drops determines what the ppm of Ca is.

What's kinda puzzled me is that the manual for testing states that the addition of the 3 drops of reagent #2 will cause a pink tinge, and if it doesn't; the Ca was below 200ppm. Well, all this time the introduction of the second fluid caused a VERY dark pink. Since day one this has been the case and has never changed.

So two days ago, I bought a package of epsom salts to bring up my Magnesium values in the hopes that this would solve my inability to raise my Ca. Yesterday evening I added 1/3 cu. to my RO/DI topoff water; along with 10ml of part A solution for Ca, and tested. No change. This evening I added another 1/4 cu. of epsom salts and tested again.

For the first time since I began testing, the addition of the second bottle's reagent only caused a SLIGHT pinkish tinge instead of the expected DARK pink. I thought to myself, THIS IS IT! My calcium is getting to where it's supposed to be!!!

I opened the third bottle, and started counting my drops. After 3 drops air sputtered out of the bottle. I was out of #3 solution!!! It was like watching the Superbowl and having a power outage at the 2 min. warning! It was like ordering dessert and getting kicked out of the restaurant before it came!

It was like. . .like having to wait until tomorrow to buy another Ca. test kit!!!

I'll keep everyone posted.

NanoReefWanabe
02/06/2008, 10:12 PM
in all this dumping of the magnesium have you checked your mag yet?

should be around 1350 to 1400ish

your test kit could be expired or gone bad...since it is empty it no longer matters...what kind of kit are you sing for CA?

are you checking you ALK as well? the two go hand in hand...and you should not be adding stuff your not testing for..

also i dont think your adding near enough calcium supplement to do anything to your tank...you have 55+25+10=2(skimmer) =~90 of water and you only adding 10ml or supplement...i have 25 gallons of water and was adding 30ml daily of calcium and alk supplement to keep up...

bertoni
02/07/2008, 12:36 AM
I'd be careful about dosing magnesium without testing.