PDA

View Full Version : Moving my tank

sgallagher7
02/06/2008, 07:59 PM
I will be moving my tank at the end of the month. I have approx 150 lbs of sand. The tank has been up since May. My question is when setting up the tank at my new place, should I go with brand new sand and seed it with just a little of the old sand, or can I use the old sand. My fear is creating another cycle. Iv finally got my tank parameters in line, and fish and corals seem happy. I dont want to turn my tank into a 75 gallon coffin.

corrado007
02/06/2008, 09:01 PM
I'm no expert on the subject but I do have a relevant experience to share. In Oct. '07 I switched all of the inhabitants from my 60gal to a new 90gal. I used the same sand and basically transfered everything from one tank to the next. My corals and fish all did fine and I didn't have any major spikes, nothing that caused any issues. The only thing I lost was a neon goby but sadly I fear that he just got lost/squashed in the shuffle what with all the cloudy water. Good luck.

sgallagher7
02/06/2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Id hate to loose all the good "stuff" that has grown in the sand if I would have to replace it all.

jaw969
02/07/2008, 12:48 AM
I have moved several tanks.... from my experience as long as you do not disturb the sand and keep it at normal temp you should be fine. I moved a 130 gallon tank that way and did not have one thing die.