PDA

View Full Version : rocks at the beach

baldomero
02/07/2008, 09:08 AM
i need to put some more rocks in the 150 im setting up i have established live rock in my 90 already question is by the beach where i live at theres alot of different shaped rocks that do not get touched by the salt water at all i was thinking on putting a few pieces in my new tank.i think if i give em a good scrub and cleaning they should be ok to use right

epstein
02/07/2008, 09:13 AM
No way I wouldnt .....

baldomero
02/07/2008, 09:19 AM
epstein you know i gotta ask for an explanation please

epstein
02/07/2008, 09:25 AM
Anything that is coming from the beach can be hazardous to your tank. Just scrubbing a rock and stating it hasnt touched saltwater isnt enought in my eyes. I too live not far from the shore and I wouldnt dream of putting something in my tank. Thats just me though. I have a couple of pieces of rock that are not live and are in my tank and are slowly becoming live. (they were bought at my LFS)

NirvanaFan
02/07/2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure of the rock, but you want really low density rock. Some random rock on the beach may be very dense, and have very little surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize on. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

robnuti
02/07/2008, 10:58 AM
I brought my dry rock at a LFS, but I was told if the rock is very pores, boil it and then clean it with a wire brush you should be OK. I'm always concerned about my tank, and I just don't throw anything in there. So I bought a 10 gallon tank and that is where I turn dry rock into live.

baldomero
02/07/2008, 11:30 AM
come to think of it you guys are right its just the best pet shop in my area is one hour away and they dont have a variety of rocks.

jasonmartin1313
02/07/2008, 11:30 AM
we put shells in our tank from florida but only after boiling for 15 min and air drying several times and i was reluctant on that rock is a hole nother animal too porious imo too risk cleaning properly

Agu
02/07/2008, 11:49 AM
I pick up rubble on the beach to add tanks. I rinse it with tank water and then soak it overnight in fresh tankwater. If the water smells good the next day (no decaying organics) the rubble is added to the tank. If it stinks the above is repeated until there's no more odor to the holding water. Same thing with macroalgaes and shell rubble for my pistol shrimp. I never boil or sterilize anything and I've been doing this for 5 years without a problem.

However I live in Fl and most of the native rock is known to be OK to use in reef tanks. Aquacultured rock is made from the local rock that's quarried here. Unless you're a geologist and can identify the kind of rock, at the beach or LFS, I would be wary of adding it to my tank. Depending on the type of rock it can possibly leach minerals into your tank , esp at the pH and salinity where we try to keep our tanks.

epstein
02/07/2008, 11:50 AM
Baldomero Listen yer from NYC right?......What beach would you possibly put something from the city shore line into your tank?....Orchard beach?....Jones ?......I think Not.....

epstein
02/07/2008, 11:52 AM
Where in the Bx are you? there are plenty of shops nearby

baldomero
02/07/2008, 12:01 PM
epstein i apologize i should of been more specific i moved to puerto rico in july of 07 (well my wife and kids did)i still stay in new york till i get a transfer or save the money i need but my tank is over there and i visit 2 times a month im talking about the clean crisp blue beaches of puerto rico not the dirty nasty beaches of the bronx. LOL

baldomero
02/07/2008, 12:03 PM
also i do have a good spot in yonkers where i can buy live rock come to think about it i should buy it here pack it up good and take it to puerto rico next week instead of putting unknown rock in my tank.

vito is hooked
02/07/2008, 12:07 PM
I Am doing this right now, But im in SW Florida, This is what I do , 5gal bucket 3/4 tap water(Tap water alone should kill everything) 1/4 bleach over night, rinse with good pressure, put it the sun a day or two, then I put it in another 5 with left over water change water, I do this a couple of times, then it goes in to a 20 gal with small power head, and do water changes with the left over water from my main water change for a couple of months, Sounds like a lot of work but the money I saved on live rock I just bought a 7 stage RO/DI unit,...But thats just Me.

baldomero
02/07/2008, 12:08 PM
vito that is so true.

epstein
02/07/2008, 12:13 PM
I was gonna say Baldie....I m from the boogie down and was gonna instantly suggest Yonkers.......Quite a few good places in Westchester......Now that Im in CT ........Not as much up here....hehe

baldomero
02/07/2008, 12:15 PM
agu can i do that with pieces of rock that i find in the water u know your method.

baldomero
02/07/2008, 12:17 PM
epstein im from east tremont i know you been to exotic pets across from yonkers raceway.

epstein
02/07/2008, 12:29 PM
Worked in the South Bx Many Many Years.......Hunts Pt section.....Wifey worked in the E tremont section..... I know them well....

chrisqueenz
02/07/2008, 01:32 PM
I just soak in bleach water a couple nights, then boil for 30min and let it air dry.. Have done it plenty of times and never had an issue.

Agu
02/07/2008, 01:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11787159#post11787159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by baldomero
agu can i do that with pieces of rock that i find in the water u know your method.

You could, but remember that I'm just picking up small pieces of rubble.Even if there's a dead animal/worm in the rubble it's not enough to crash my tank. If you're picking up larger pieces it's probably safer to cure it just like any other live rock.

baldomero
02/07/2008, 09:11 PM
true.

liamblair1987
02/07/2008, 09:16 PM
epstein i have another tag line u could use...."if police arrested a mime, would they tell it they have the right to remain silent?"
haah totally off topic..but stilL!

baldomero
02/08/2008, 11:53 AM
bump