PDA

View Full Version : My Lion is such a pig

Puffalicious
02/07/2008, 12:32 PM
I try to feed my lion every other day, but he keeps stealing food from my other fishes.

I usually distract him on one side of the tank and drop the food on the other side, but he sees it and swims towards it and gulps it in one bite.

My other fishes take time eating cuz they don't have a big mouth like he does. He just never stops and eats all the things I drop in there. Anyone have an idea on what to do during feedings?

beaglelax
02/07/2008, 02:52 PM
I feed mine first i feed him silver sides then krill until he wont eat then pour in the food for the others and they eat fine and the lion cant be bothered because he is full

Puffalicious
02/07/2008, 03:05 PM
See that's the problem, he doesnt stop!! he keeps eating until his stomach looks like it's about to blow and still wants more

JazzZero
02/07/2008, 03:15 PM
try to keep him in a net everytime u feed your other fish lol or maybe even feed them at the same time. for ex put food at the too corners and try feeding like that.

reeferaddiction
02/08/2008, 12:03 AM
i have the same problem, i actually made a post because i was concerned about overfeeding him. i think netting him would be a bad idea because it would cause stress for him and the others, what i have been doing is i only feed silver sides every other day and since silver sides are the only food he eats until he looks like he gonna blow this works. maybe try smaller pieces, my lion seems to be uninterested in smaller pieces of food. good luck

VolitanLioness
02/08/2008, 08:00 AM
Never net your lion, you can cause damage to the lion........ Feed until you see a slight bulge in the stomach area........

Kaye

Puffalicious
02/08/2008, 09:38 AM
Ok last night's feeding was just a disaster..... I drop in food for other fishes and he just went for it before the others know there's food. I trapped him in a rock cave with a net and that worked for like 1min, but he found his way out, what a smart fish. I must've dropped in 5 cubes of formula 1 and 3 cubes of scallop and he ate all of it except for 1 cube of scallop. His stomach looked like it's about to burst. Oh well

reeferaddiction
02/08/2008, 11:25 AM
are you putting a whole solid cube in there or is it smaller particles, like i said mine goes for big stuff but doesnt bother with smaller pieces

Puffalicious
02/08/2008, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11795462#post11795462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferaddiction
are you putting a whole solid cube in there or is it smaller particles, like i said mine goes for big stuff but doesnt bother with smaller pieces

he gulps it in even with smaller pieces.

VolitanLioness
02/09/2008, 08:09 AM
Use a Feeding Prong/Feeding Stick, place the food on it and spot feed the lion. I feed all my fish first........... than feed my lions, so they do not steal the food from the feeding stick....

Kaye

pinkie
02/09/2008, 10:02 PM
I have tried separating them and such, but what I have found easiest, is to just take all the food, and dump it in at once, and let the fish grab what they can. Some days some fish get more than others, but in the end it typically evens out. The hungrier some get from being lazy, the faster they grab up the food the next couple days.

Typically my puffers and eel get to most of the food before the lionfish does, and he never gets too much. If he doesn't get quite enough i'll give him a piece of food or two during non feeding hours.