PDA

View Full Version : birdsnest question

01saleen
02/07/2008, 01:05 PM
I just got a large green birds nest from a friend who had it under t5's and it lost all of its color and is now a white birds nest. I know have it at the top of my tank about 8 inches away from my halides.

I did this because my friend gave me a once pink cats paw which turned brown and in my tank under my halides it got all of its color back. I was wondering if the same would happen with the birds nest, had it a week so far and no new color changes? any ideas?

sprite
02/07/2008, 01:19 PM
sounds bleached...i would put it at the bottom till the color comes back

mixed_reefer
02/07/2008, 03:50 PM
Green birds dont seem to enjoy the light as much as their cousins. Mine lost color and actually withdrew its polyps in the areas it was getting too much light. I moved it to the back of the tank and the polyps are back and the color is returning slowly.

midas blenny
02/07/2008, 07:25 PM
low to middle with my green birds nest. i think they hate high light.

HBtank
02/07/2008, 08:27 PM
IME pinks to, my pink with green tip BN has one half under a lockline output and the centerbrace, and is darker than the half that gets driect light.

It is very noticible. it is only half way up in my tank and I would lower it if it were not for the shading it gets on 50% of it. Both siudes are growing equally, just the direct light side is kinda "bleached"

01saleen
02/08/2008, 11:15 AM
thanks for all the replies, i will move it lower.

Setec
02/08/2008, 03:10 PM
That is odd. I have a green and a pink and was told to put both of them as high as I can get them on the rock.

They are both on the top of my reed direct under the hotspot of the halide. My green glows and has doubled in size since I moved it. My pink is growing like a weed and looks all fuzzy from the polyps. the only down side is the bulbs are reeflux 12k 250s and my pink birds nest has turned a darker pink to almost a purple color.

Froggy
02/09/2008, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11797365#post11797365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Setec
That is odd. I have a green and a pink and was told to put both of them as high as I can get them on the rock.

They are both on the top of my reed direct under the hotspot of the halide. My green glows and has doubled in size since I moved it. My pink is growing like a weed and looks all fuzzy from the polyps. the only down side is the bulbs are reeflux 12k 250s and my pink birds nest has turned a darker pink to almost a purple color.

I have the same experience as HB with pinks. My pink looks best low in the tank and that is under 2 175 watt Iwasaki's. No matter how slowly I raise it, the higher it is in the tank the lighter it looks. My pink birdsnest keeps a nice dark pink low in my tank. I was always told that the pinks enjoy as much light as you can give them. I find less is more with mine.

Gary Majchrzak
02/09/2008, 09:30 AM
IME pink Seriatopora generally appreciate more intense light than green