PDA

View Full Version : star polyps

logan 12
02/07/2008, 06:45 PM
I am having trouble keeping star polyps in my tank, I have already lost two colonies. I did not know if any one could help me out at all. I know this is an easier coral to keep and have had it in my tank for a while. But all of a sudden they have started to die. No changes in water that I can tell at least through water tests. All the other corals in my tank ae doing good, I mostly have softies. If any one has any suggestions I would love to here them, thanks.

BryanM
02/07/2008, 08:58 PM
Green or Yellow?
Ive kept geen for a couple of years now. They prefer low flow, and moderate light. They seem to do best on the bottom of the tank. They take a while to settle in so dont move them around.
I also had yellow in my 75 gallon and they grew like mad. I moved them to my 180 , and they fizzled out. There is still a few there, just not doing much anymore.
Can you give more info on what kind of star polyps, your lighting, etc.

blueroof
02/07/2008, 09:12 PM
If gsp does take hold it can take over. Be careful what you wish for!

logan 12
02/07/2008, 10:28 PM
I am running power compacts on my tank. I am interested in keeping the green star polyps. I do have a place in my tank that is next to the bottom. It has low flow, or none direct flow.

Horace
02/08/2008, 08:23 AM
My suggestion would be to stay away, stay far away! GSP are evil!

bnedelsky
02/08/2008, 05:53 PM
logan,

I also have a hard time with gsp

They were out for a month after i bought them then they went in and never came back out! I also have a problem with xzenia, so i just dont try anymore all other corals doing fine.

Ya got me!!

BryanM
02/08/2008, 09:53 PM
They should be fine there. These guys are right though. Make sure you place them near no other rocks or coral. They will spread fast once they take hold. They are also noxious to other corals, they turned the edges of my green shrooms white.
If you really want to keep them make sure you get a good colony to start with. If they are not fully open, thick and bright green dont buy them. Ive seen some that look pretty lousy, and I could see how they would not last long once moved.
I also kept pulsing xenia in my 75. I picked it up at sailfin pet shop and John told me you better grab some iodine because they will drink it. When I shut down my 75 I had xenia over half my rock, on the glass, and overflow box. It got to a point were I couldnt give it away. Needless to say I didnt transfer any of it to my new tank. It can be far worse than star polyps once it takes off.
Horace, Im interested to know what kind of problem you had with GSP? by the way, the purple digi frag i got from you is huge now! My green chromis like to hide in it. Its pretty cool.