PDA

View Full Version : loudness of pumps

mushumatt
02/07/2008, 07:44 PM
hey guys, I've been around for some bit but some family issues came up so i have been gone since the creation of this group.

but anyways i have a sequence hammerhead for a return on my tank that we are looking to get rid of due to the noise.

i do not mind if the pump is internal or external. I just need it to be able to pump 4' of head and be able to do like 2000-3000 gph. The problem is its going right next to the tv so everyone can hear the hum of the hammerhead. Its going on a 200 gallon tank.

could you guys rate your pumps on the loudness?

1 being the hum of your computer

10 being the hum of a regular car engine.

mkbtank
02/07/2008, 08:27 PM
Upon fast94m's recommendation, I am going from an external pump to an internal Ehiem 1262 for noise reduction as well as heat reduction (My external is a bear). The Eheim pumps only 900gph, but I am going to increase my in-tank circulation with 2 Tunze 6000's and 1 Tunze 6100 on a multicontroller.

There's one opinion. I am not sure of the actual # on your scale, but I could bearly hear Steve's tank when I was right next to it.

fraggin
02/07/2008, 08:58 PM
i have a mag 9.5 in the basement sump that i can't tell is running.

FishTri
02/07/2008, 09:16 PM
mkbtank,

When you say "heat reduction" are you talking about how much the pump raises the temperature of the water?

If so, how does submersing the pump help?

mkbtank
02/07/2008, 09:36 PM
You know Alan, I am not 100% sure. Basically I am taking Steve's word for it. I do know that my current pump is an Iwaki that pumps about 2,196 gallons per hour and gets really hot, while using 115V and 380W. I am hoping that he is right and I will both save some money on electric and not heat the water as much as the current pump. I do realize that in this case the heat will be released directly into the water.

The Eheim can also be run outside the water if that will be better.

Being in lighing, you probably know way better than I. What are your thoughts? (If you want, you can call me so we don't hijack this thread any further)

Mitch

FishTri
02/07/2008, 10:09 PM
Mushumatt,

I have a Hammerhead pumping up from the basement. The whole house vibrates!

If you can submerse a pump it will probably be quieter. The trade-off will be efficiency (it may cost you more to move the same amount of water). Also, the pump in the water will heat the water more than an external pump.

Just because an external pump feels hot, doesn't mean its putting that heat into the water. In fact, its not. The heat is going into the air. But when you submerse it - now 100% of that heat raises the tank temp.

(Mitch, see how I tried to make it look like I wasn't hijacking his thread?)
...sorry mushumatt...

Stixbaraca
02/08/2008, 04:27 AM
It is the other way around! When you put the pump in water in the sump...then the pump will heat that water up by transferring it's heat directly to the water. AN external pump that does not come in contact directly with the water will only dissipate it's heat to the air.

mkbtank
02/08/2008, 07:37 AM
outside the sump it is.

fast94m
02/08/2008, 12:19 PM
Thats all fine and dandy when your comparing 2 of the same pumps. But what about a pump drawing 75 watts vs a pump drawing 380 watts?

fast94m
02/08/2008, 12:22 PM
mushumatt,
If your looking for the quietest pumps around from what i gather the Eheim and the Red dragon pumps are great at that. Why do you need 2000-3000 gph thru your sump? Just seems like a waste of wattage/noise cause no matter what pump you get 3000gph thru a overflow/sump/plumbing is going to create some noise. 3-5x your tank volume would be enough i think, so 600-1000gph? much cheaper on your electric bill, generally quieter, and less heat overall whether in sump or out of sump. A hotter room is a hotter tank.

ronert
02/08/2008, 04:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11795975#post11795975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fast94m
A hotter room is a hotter tank.

actually, a hotter room is a higher BTU load on the home AC plant ...

FishTri
02/08/2008, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11795951#post11795951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fast94m
Thats all fine and dandy when your comparing 2 of the same pumps. But what about a pump drawing 75 watts vs a pump drawing 380 watts?

If the question is heat in the tank, my gut tells me a 75 watt submersed pump would raise the water temperature more than a 380 watt external pump, in most home aquarium situations.

But those two pumps have to be pumping significantly different amounts of water. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare heat output when they're really doing different jobs?

fast94m
02/08/2008, 05:46 PM
wattage is wattage in my opinion. More wattag=more potential for heat, hence why all the expensive pumps don't consume many watts, because their efficient at what they do and therefore create less heat. Would you even notice a 75 watt heater running in 300g of total water volume? How about a 380 watt heater? Everybody does things diferently, but i'm just speaking from my experience running different pumps of different wattages and brands internally and comparing it to when the pump is not running.

mushumatt
02/08/2008, 06:04 PM
Well its not that big of a deal. Now i think about it a ~200 gallon tank really want matter that much if its in the water. So the general consensus is that a pump located in the water will be quieter then an external pump?

Because the main problem is the noise, the heat can be overcommed if need be. The whole setup is in a furnished basement so its usually cooler at all times of the year.

For a submersible pump either a mag or quiet one pump.

External im looking at a sequence dart and a pan world 150ps (for the skimmer)

fast94m
02/08/2008, 06:35 PM
i'd say quiet one over mag, i've had experience w/ mag 5 and mag 9.5, both loud and vibrating

Polyptician
02/08/2008, 07:11 PM
the panworld/blueline pumps that champion sells are pretty quiet and run cool.

mushumatt
02/11/2008, 03:42 PM
alright awesome

rodstar
02/13/2008, 10:33 AM
I have a blueline HD70 that is in the basement and pumps from my sump and fuge upstairs to the main tank.

It is nice and cool and very quiet.