PDA

View Full Version : Emporer starting to change

MGB
02/07/2008, 09:47 PM
Just thought I'd share and see who else has gone through the experience.

When I first set up my tank, I was certain I would include an adult Emporer in the fish collection. However, as time went by it started to make more sense to get a juvenile and grow it into a beautiful adult. My thinking was that healthy adults seamed harder to obtain and adults were less inclined to adapt to captivity, feeding, stress etc. I obtained a quality juvenile about six months ago, approx 3.5" in size, and the fish has become happily acclimated and grown perhaps 1/2". However, besides becoming the dominant fish, it's already started to change, which is exciting to witness, inspite of being a slow process.

Emporer when first obtained;

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x240/boltondesign/New-Emporer-Angel.jpg

Emporer today, 6 months later. You can start to make out finer blue lateral lines appearing inbetween the concentric circles.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x240/boltondesign/Changing-Emporer.jpg

Kung
02/08/2008, 08:59 PM
cool. do you keep him in a FOWL or a reef.

I want one, but I am afraid of what he would do to my softies.

Saltwaterstart
02/08/2008, 09:53 PM
Looks like it is going to be a beautiful fish.

MGB
02/09/2008, 11:18 AM
This fish is in a reef tank, with around two dozen sps corals and three lps corals. No softies, so I'm not sure how an Emporer would behave around them. I think one of the keys is getting the fish into a routine of being fed by you, and not constantly foraging around the tank. I rarely see this fish actively foraging and looking for food on the live rock, like other fish in the tank. They are quite smart at figuring out the easy food source and are happy to hang around until the human shows up.

yoboyjdizz
02/09/2008, 04:01 PM
Keep us updated mine has begin to change and starting to show lots of yellow and a face change. I need to get some snap shots soon! Great fish to have.