PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang

sheldibridle
02/08/2008, 10:44 AM
I have a 120 gal reef tank about 4 months old. I got one yellow tang, one brown powder tang, one black cap basalet, two clown fish, one 4 polyp frag zoa and one new maze brain coral. Since the addition of the brown powder tang my yellow tank would bully him around. Last night I could not find yellow tang anywhere. He did appear one time after feeding other fish but he did not stay out long and that was the last I seen him anyone got any Idea for the sudden change in his habbits?:confused:

deeznuts
02/08/2008, 11:18 AM
with a 120 tank you would have been better off just introducing all your tangs at the same time to avoid these issues.

jedi31
02/08/2008, 12:54 PM
Fish especially Tangs change behavior when things change in your tank, especially new addtions. I had a 5 inch hippo tang and 4 inch Yellow tang introduce a year apart in my reef and the hippo became the boss. These fish never fought but the yellow was very laid back. I recenlty removed the Hippo because he started to eat my acans and since then my yellow has been out swimiming in the open water more. His colors are more a vibrant yellow and he is fatter.

Your Yellow tang might be stressed even if he wasn't the new addtion. He will now have to share his territory/ grazing/food with another Tang. I guess tangs should be only one per tank unless there is a bigger tank like 150 plus but I don't follow this advice either I just added a 3 inch PBT to my tank. I know my tank is small but I'm upgraded next year when I move to a 150 plus. Good luck with your Yellow I hope he comes out and I'm sure you will be okay with your 2 tangs as long they are well fed and water quality is top notch.

SeaIsle
02/08/2008, 03:39 PM
I have heard allso that introduction at the same time helps them to coexist. I have a hippo and am hesitant to add another tang. There are other fish in the sea or the LFS

sheldibridle
02/09/2008, 06:39 AM
Well my yellow tang came out like he use to last night not sure why. All is good for now.