PDA

View Full Version : Need help with lighting for 75

Chandlerpelhams
02/08/2008, 03:28 PM
Hey all, I'm new to reef central and about 6 months into the hobby. I've just purchased a 75 gal upgrade from a 37 eclipse (i figured the hood had everything in it, I didn't need to buy any more stuff, boy was I wrong!) I did an upgrade to retrofit pc's and wasn't happy, and am now running an inexpensive retrofit vho 2 bulb system @ 75 watts a piece. I think the vho actincs look great, and was thinking of doing 2x 110 vho's with 2x250 20,000k halides for the 75 gallon. The other option is doing t5's, although I would like to keep sps and not have any worries about there being enough light in the tank. How many bulbs should I run? Any suggestions? Comments? Help?!

Price IS an issue, although I was thinking of doing all Icecap on either system, I figured since I was going to be spending a chunk of money, atleast I'd go for the good stuff. Either system would be retrofit, and unless I hear something amazing with the t5's, or I can get away with just 4 bulbs (making it much cheaper) I am tempted to go with a tride and true way that I know will work, mh+vho.

Are there any other companies who make nice quality electronic ballasts for possibly less money? Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Steve.

luke33
02/08/2008, 03:56 PM
Steve in a 75g you could just get ic reflectors and use sylvania, triad, advance or even workhorse ballasts on them instead of the ic660. You don't need to overdrive your bulb's in a 75g. A 6x54w would work fine for anything you wanted to keep. That or a 2x250w mh would work fine as well. It would make the retro's cost around 140 bux for a 2x48" with bulb's.

luke33
02/08/2008, 03:57 PM
Ofcourse since you already have vho's set up you could get a 2x lumenarc III mini's 250w mh's for pry cheaper.

moprint
02/08/2008, 04:02 PM
I think a 4 bulb T5 retro kit from reefgeek would the way to go. Then you can use the 2 VHO you have as actinics. The retro is $299. I tried to post a link but it didn't work. 48" 4x54W TEK 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/Bulbs. Look on reefgeek.com and you will find it.

moprint
02/08/2008, 04:04 PM
Or what luke said he types faster then I do.