PDA

View Full Version : Loud Noise from Pumps. Help!

reef_only
02/08/2008, 04:01 PM
Hello, I just have 300G tank SW setup and with 2 main pumps, one is for water return and the other is for skimmer and together they make loud buzz noise.

Return pump:
Pan World 100PX-X 1270gph. with 1" pipe.

Skimmer pump:
Iwaki MD55RLT 1080 gph with 1" pipl.

The Skimmer pump makes louder noise, if I turn off this pump it is little quieter.

Anyone has the same problem? what quieter pump would you recommend? I plan to turn off the skimmer pump at night and turn back on during day, is there any problem doing this?

Thanks!

bag151
02/08/2008, 05:52 PM
How loud is the noise? External pumps are going to make noise.

On the pan world pumps you can remove the external fan blades which will reduce the noise but you are going to have to make a heat sink with another fan on it to keep the pump from overheating.
There are a few threads on how to mod the pumps on here.

If you turn the skimmer pump off and on it really limits the effectiveness of the skimmer.

I have a pan world as well as a few sequence pumps. I like the sequence pumps because they are direct drive and so they use up half the energy and the noise isn't bad. Tends to be more like a light Hum versus a buzz. You can also try and sound proof your stand.

Jester
02/08/2008, 10:46 PM
my pumps started making more noise when i switched over to hard plumbing... i used a 6-8" piece of vinyl from the pump to the plumbing to help reduce vibration, but something is still making noise... are you sure its the pumps or the plumbing..??

reef_only
02/11/2008, 04:13 PM
It is very loud. I think plumping also added to the noise but for my case it's maily from the Iwaki MD55RLT pump; the Pan World 100PX-X is less than half the noise while it drives 3 time longer pipe; funny thing is the Iwaki is more than twice in the cost and Iwaki says it's very quiet pump in their product description (could be when compared to jet engine)

is there any websites or forums that have noise level rating/comparision between different pumps? I don't trust in manufacturing descriptions.