PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor

jlinzmaier
02/09/2008, 11:09 AM
I read the warning on the interceptor post about buying and selling on RC, but where am I supposed to get it from???? I called every vet in the phone book and they think I'm crazy and won't give me a prescription. I offered to provide literature but since they don't "see" or "treat" my fish tank they won't issue a prescription for it. I called Fosters and Smith and they won't sell it without a prescription - their veterinary staff won't write a prescription for me because they don't "see" or "treat" my fishtank. Good lord, you'd think I'm trying to get a prescription for narcotics or something!!!!! I work as an assistant nurse manager and physicians write scripts at the drop of a dime (not narcotics of course) - what the hell is the deal with a vet writing a script for intercpetor. I understand prescription writing is federally monitored but for christ sake I'm asking for it for my fish tank - I'm not telling them I'm going to take it home and snort it!! (that would be bad!)

Anyone have any suggestions about how I can get a prescription for interceptor besides buying a dog and asking for the med for my dog (dog would then end up with heartworms since I'd be dosing the interceptor to my fishtank.)

Jeremy

pondy
02/09/2008, 12:12 PM
I wouldnt call the vets. I would just go to their office with litrature. I cant believe they cant put two and two together. THe medication is to kill some crustations, my vet went on an on about what it did for dogs then he mentioned that it would to the same thing for my aquarium. I would get a good article and go into another vet and see if he will at least let you explain. Good luck

uhuru
02/09/2008, 12:35 PM
I would not write a prescription for someone I've never even seen before, whether it be for themselves, their dog or their fish.

Look up a vet in your area here:

http://www.aquavetmed.info/index.cfm?PID=6

and then go see them in person.

jtarmitage
02/11/2008, 01:06 PM
On my last visit to the Vet, I asked them about this(it was not the reason for the visit), and they said it's a liability issue and they could lose their insurance. The reason is that if you gave interceptor to a dog with heartworms, it would kill the dog. So, every dog needs to be checked first.

jlinzmaier
02/11/2008, 06:22 PM
After calling every vet in the phone book (and every vet listed in Wisconsin from the online resource - Aquata Vet Med) I finally had a vet understand my situtation and, with a release of liablity form (indicating I'm using the med for purposes other than labeled on the box) I've obtained some Interceptor. This stuff is so hard to come by in the aquatic world there's practically a black market - and it's only heartworm pills ( I think I could get a script for vicodin easier!!!)

I needed to provide evidence of it's use as I'm intending to use it and a proper dosing calculation and she sold it to me. I don't suppose it helped that she had a reef tank also!!

Good luck to anyone else attempting to buy some. I spoke with a person from the fosters and smith retial store (Jodi) who said she was working with the Kevin and Race to hopefully some day make it available to reefers, but it didn't sound like it was going to happen any time soon.

Jeremy