PDA

View Full Version : in invitation for disaster??? adding uncured LR to estab system(fuge)

K' Family Reef
02/09/2008, 11:15 AM
an invitation for disaster ???
:confused:

i posted this in another thread but thought it might be better posted here - for anyone else who might be interested or had been thinking along the same lines to learn about too

have been wondering for awhile
about adding a 'piece' of uncured LR to my fuge to increase the 'biodiversity' w/n the tank (few pieces over time)... much of the lr in this system was already cured when adding it (over 200#LR)...

210gal system (125dt)
and wouldnt think that one piece would do that much harm overall(assuming i scrubbed it/rinsed prior to putting it in)... this system is well established and nitrates are always measured at zero (have never been a problem!)...

but water issues are one thing and PESTS are another!!!

one thing have learned since reefing
is how important QT is (who would have thought to QT chaeto = how got flatworms!)... so it really goes against better judgment considering pests majanos etc...

but adding it to the 'fuge' atleast 'isolates' it to (((some))) regard

anyone have opinions/experience doing this??

thanks and regards

kindafun
02/09/2008, 11:21 AM
Seems like it's a risk/reward thing and that you know what the risks are. You make your choices and take your chances. Safe is always safe.

hubris007
02/09/2008, 11:42 AM
dittos to kindafun. It it worth the risk? I'm guessing you probably have a bit of time and money invested in your system. While i think you would get some good diversity from a nice fresh piece of uncured rock and might even get some cool critters, is it worth the risk of getting some not so good critters if you don't at least QT it first?

You could QT it with full lighting and everything and then move it over to you fuge later if you wanted. That might be a good compromize.

K' Family Reef
02/09/2008, 12:40 PM
that will more or less be the same as curing the LR
albeit the safest way to go...

not same as throwing it in existing tank
w/ all the fun stuff and hopefully none of the bad and letting it 'cure' in the tank
:confused: :eek1: :lol:

we have a 50gal display fuge
might go out and purchase a piece and give this a try... placing it in the fuge then later on rotating some of the LR betw fuge/display... we also have 2 other tanks that would really like to start adding more 'biodiversity' to as well (150fowlr/30mini reef - no sump/fuge on either).

anyone else ???

K' Family Reef
02/09/2008, 07:19 PM
???