PDA

View Full Version : 75g down to 10g nano tank this spring

fretbuzz520
02/09/2008, 03:46 PM
Ten gallon soft nano-reef

10 gallon display tank

Possibly 20 gallon sump

Need to decide on sump design, that way I can decide on what size or rating of pump, where to drill etc.

Skimmer/live-rock with light/refugium/return Or will the live rock with light be in the refugium? I see a lot of people going with cheato so I'll probably go that route.

I plan on using the skimmers capacity for carbon

I still need to do research on which corals get along with which other corals

Any dosing necessary? Most say not with reef crystals and weekly water changes

Where do you all keep your pre-mixed water change water? I’ve been using a garbage can with a heater and a powerhead. How many use RO/DI water and how many use bottled water or distilled water? Anybody use conditioned tap water?

I’m trying to get an idea for how much maintenance time I’m going to need to set aside. I’m also going to be running a discus freshwater tank.

Planned inhabitants: royal gramma, green mandarin, coral banded shrimp, a few hermit crabs, a few snails, harlequin star, mushrooms, zoanthids and polyps. Under PC lighting. Does wattage of actinic bulbs count towards the total wattage?
The skimmer is a red sea prizm pro deluxe I believe. That will be in the first section of the sump, then I will probably have the refugium and then the return.

re-cap on the questions:

*Any thoughts on the argument that all beneficial bacteria coming from the refugium will be killed in the return pumping process?

*Any thoughts on the argument that actinic light does not count for overall light? Again, I am going with softies, mostly shrooms and polyps so I certainly don't want to fry them.

*I've seen a few beautiful nano-tanks done by people who say that they do not dose anything because the weekly water changes replenish that yet...this place says differently

“Calcium and alkalinity, being rapidly depleted in most reef aquaria, are not well controlled, or even significantly impacted by such small water changes. In order to maintain them with no other supplements, changes on the order of 30-50% PER DAY would be required.” - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php#14

*Aren't I going to need calcium, strontium & molybdenum, trace elements and iodine? I know the reef crystals have trace elements at least

*What do you think the weekly or even daily upkeep will become? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. a 75g can promote laziness when compared to a 10g.

*conditioned tap water vs. RO/DI vs. bottled vs. distilled? Prices are a factor too.

Thank you all for checking out my first thread on this site. I'm still open to any design suggestions or any suggestions overall. The nice thing about my move in the spring is that I can leave the 75g running at the old place and slowly bring the 10g up to speed and transition the current critters over time.

fretbuzz520
02/10/2008, 03:21 PM
bump