PDA

View Full Version : Cyclop-eeze Sale? ...or not?

ManotheSea
02/09/2008, 06:38 PM
Check this out. Cyclopeeze 100g, 3.53oz $4.77 at Pet Supermarket.

I just got back from there. I happened to notice this Tetra fish food jar called "Micro Crabs." I thought that was an unusual name for fish food and took a closer look at it. It has the Cyclop-eeze reg trade mark logo on it so I bought a jar with some hesitation since its a freshwater Tetra product. But I thought maybe I stumbled upon a cheap source.

I just went to the Cyclop-eeze web site and sure enough the Tetra product is manufactured by the same Argent Laboratories. Its marked on the Tetra jar.

Then I had to make sure it was a good deal by looking up prices online before I posted this.

Pet Supermarket - Tetra MicroCrabs $4.77 for 100g (3.53oz)

Marine Depot - Cyclop-eeze $11.99 for 30g (1.06oz)
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~LF1311~idCategory~FIFDDRFD~category~Liquid_Life_Cyclop_ eeze_Whole_Freeze_Dried_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Food_Dry_Freeze_Dried_%26vendor%3d~tab~1.html

Foster & Smith - sells both on the same page
Cyclop-eeze 100g $24.99
Tetra MicroCrabs 100g $5.49
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=2004&Ntt=cyclop%2Deeze&Np=1

Am I missing something here? OK the MicroCrab is tiny granules but they easily crushed to dust size in my fingers. What do you guys think? Is there any reason not to use MicroCrabs instead?

It almost seems like we are getting gouged because they know Reefers spend oodles of cash as compared to freshwater hobbiest who are being marketed with a much cheaper price on the same product in the same store. Help me out here. Am I wrong on this? Feel free to interject and correct me if needed.

ManotheSea
02/09/2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone?

I think its cool to find a good deal. At the same time it sucks to be smacked in the face with the proof that they apparently jack up the price to sell to us while selling it at a fraction of that price to others. So much for loyalty and appreciation to their best customers.

Come on, someone step in here and tell me Im missing something.

LobsterOfJustice
02/09/2008, 09:16 PM
I use that stuff. I use freezer cyclopeeze too though. I believe the MicroCrabs is "made with" cyclopeeze, not necessarily "made of" cyclopeeze.

D-Rod
02/09/2008, 09:22 PM
It's worth a try for me!

_E_
02/09/2008, 09:26 PM
I'm following along...would love to know.
Eric

mbbuna
02/10/2008, 06:20 AM
Tetra MicroCrabs Cyclop-EEZEĀ® Granules

Ingredients: Fish Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten, Feeding Oat Meal, Potato Protein, Shrimp Meal, Dried Yeast, Cyclops, Wheat Gluten, Monobasic Calcium Phosphate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Lecithin, Soybean Oil, Algae Meal, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Inositol, Niacin, A-Tocopherol-Acetate, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Choline Chloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Cyanocobalamin, Cholecalciferol, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate, Cobalt Nitrate Hexahydrate. Color includes: Beta-Carotene, Black Carbon, Red #3 Dye, Ethoxyquin and Citric Acid, both as preservatives.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 48.0% min.
Crude Fat 6.0% min.
Crude Fiber 2.0% max.
Moisture 6.0% max.
Phosphorous 1.5% min.

----------------------------

Cyclop-Eeze Freeze-Dried
Biological Pigments
Astaxanthene
(foundational carotenoid) 3,000 ppm - 7,500 ppm
Canthaxanthene 150 ppm

Omega-3 Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFAs)
20:5n3 Eicosapentaenoic Acid 13.4% (min)
22:6n3 Docosahexaenoic Acid 12.8% (min)

Approximate Analysis
Protein (min) 60.0%
Carbohydrate (min) 8.5%
Fat (lipids) (min) 34.0%
Ash 3.5%

betat
02/10/2008, 09:29 AM
Now that we got all that out of the way, which is better and is paying more for Cyclop-eze worth it?

I have been feeding with the Tetra Micro Crabs and the fish love it. I started giving it to them as a treat but now just feed it once a day in the morning and then flake or frozen in the afternoon, for "supper". The coloration of all fish is great, not sure if due to the Micro crabs or just being healthy.

tank o tang
02/10/2008, 09:40 AM
Is the tetra higher on phosphates?

LobsterOfJustice
02/10/2008, 10:15 AM
Looks like "Cyclops" is the 10th ingredient of the Tetra product, whereas I would assume Cyclopeese is 100% cyclops.

AquamanE
02/10/2008, 11:15 AM
Interesting stuff. Any conclusions from the experts?

aquaman67
02/10/2008, 11:58 AM
I use the Micro Crabs. It's like crack for clown fish. My clowns go crazy for this stuff.

I don't like the Cyclop-eeze "wafers" or the granules. I use an auto-feeder and neither one works well in the feeder. But the micro-crabs are perfect. They sink slowly and I've never seen my clowns attack food, even brine shrimp, like they do with the micro-crabs.