PDA

View Full Version : Low Iron glass getting white haze

Justjoe
02/09/2008, 06:52 PM
Hello,
Was wondering if anyone has seen starphire or other low iron glass getting a white haze that can not be removed, even with using concentrated HCl. It also can not be removed with a variety of polishing compounds/ fine grit sand paper.
The other 4 sides of the tank are regular glass and don't have any discoloration, and this is the second tank to show the same symptoms. All water qualities are well within acceptable reef keeping levels, even though its a fish only tank.
The white haze starts out very light, and then progresses to the point you can not see through the glass. (it is not laminated)
The haze can have a banding or swirling pattern to it, so its my thought that these patterns that are showing up are actually from when the glass was in its liquid form and cooled, and something is leaching in the glass.
It has been suggested that it has something to do with when the glass is poured onto the liquid tin during the manufacturing, and there is now some reaction taking place.
Any help would be appreciated.

bertoni
02/09/2008, 08:01 PM
Hmm, muriatic acid won't remove it, and neither will sandpaper. If you have a tank that's no longer useful, it'd be interesting to try a commercial glass buffer, if it's cheap to try. I just don't know enough about glass manufacturing to help much. My first guess would have been a lamination issue. You're sure it's not laminated?

rbursek
02/09/2008, 09:08 PM
Taalk to the supplier/manifacturer.
Bob

poopsko24
12/30/2010, 07:48 PM
I'm having the same problem. What ever was the outcome of this ?

Swim
12/30/2010, 07:53 PM
This problem has been linked to stray voltage in the tank/system. Is a ground probe setup on this tank? Take a voltage meter and measure from water to ground and see if you get a reading.