PDA

View Full Version : Changing tanks over

Winchester
02/09/2008, 08:20 PM
I would like to hear everyones option on changing tanks over.
What I like to do is take my 135gallon down and replace it with my freinds 180gallon. Now both tanks have been running for 4 years now. I want to keep 50% of my acros and 50% of his, live rock etc. Whats the best way to do this? I was going to try to do this in two days, and try not to lose much in the change over. I have heard a few ideas, but I thought I would ask the pros first, I want to try to do this the correct way.

Thanks

Winchester
02/10/2008, 12:37 AM
No one?

alve
02/10/2008, 01:12 AM
Just get some big plastic bins and put everything in there. Have a powerhead and heater going in each bin and you are ready to move the tanks.
Once the 180 is in place you can add a new sandbed (keep a couple cups of your old sand to seed), your life rock, whatever water you could keep from taking down the other tanks and new saltwater.
This can all be done in one day, depending how far you have to move everything. If you rinsed the new sand then by the next morning it should be cleared up pretty good. If you didn't keep your life rock out of the water very long you should not have much of a cycle.

currentking
02/10/2008, 04:28 AM
This should all be done in one day to minimize loss. There is no problem with what you are doing. Like alve said, use a little of your old sand with new sand and use at least 80% of the old water.