PDA

View Full Version : moonlight

topside
02/09/2008, 08:44 PM
hey, just curious about moonlight lighting....... how important other than aesthetic value does it really have? I can comprehend the cycles and such, but it it really beneficial and what pros does it have?

mdbv25
02/09/2008, 09:05 PM
Alot of things thrive at night... that are beneficial to your system.... I feel that letting them know by moonlight is better than leaving them in the dark... but you could try....:)

SleepyJ
02/09/2008, 09:07 PM
The LEDs give the tank a nice shimmer at night. It allows you to watch your tank 24/7...which I suspect a lot of people come close. Like mdbv said, a lot of animals are nocturnal. This gives you a way to see them.

dc_909
02/09/2008, 09:08 PM
not needed, but definitely cool to look at

topside
02/09/2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks. Probably a fore gone conclusion, but curious to see responses. That's basically what I thoght. What better thing to do than go down and look at your tank when your pregnant wife wakes you up six times a night!!!! Thanks guys

greenbean36191
02/10/2008, 07:18 AM
There's really very little evidence that the actual light of the moon provides any real benefit or cues to marine life. Moonlights in the hobby don't bare any resemblance to real moonlight anyway. They're almost invariably orders of magnitude too bright and the wrong color. Plus, people tend to run them either 24/7 or at least all night, so any signaling the light might actually provide is negated.

If you want to use them for night viewing, that's fine, but keep them dim. We aren't nearly as sensitive to dim blue light as our animals are so it's a lot brighter to them.