PDA

View Full Version : Tank-bred clowns at Petco?

garygb
02/09/2008, 11:25 PM
Here in Los Angeles Petcos no longer have the tank-bred clowns. For that matter, they have discontinued carrying saltwater fish at all. Having the tank-bred clowns are something that Petco did right--now they don't have that. I'm curious if in other parts of the country they have eliminated their saltwater fish?

littlefish72
02/10/2008, 12:49 AM
Some stores stop selling salt water fish when they realize they loose
money because no one is taking care of or buying the fish. Having worked for Petco I will agree that selling tank bred was something they did right. With the area I'm familiar with (NC and PA) they discontinue salt water livestock on a store by store basis. That might have changed though.........which would be a bummer because I was gonna get a buddy to order me some bicinctus clowns from ORA :)

keefsama2003
02/10/2008, 06:52 AM
I stopped at 3 petco's here on long island in NY and all of them have the Salt water section all closed up.

Guess they are stoppig nation wide

wicked_NaCl_h2o
02/10/2008, 08:59 AM
That would be awesome..I sure hope petco gets out of the saltwater business. I don't think that any huge franchise pet stores should be selling any thing but saltwater supplies.

garygb
02/10/2008, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately now I don't know anywhere to get tank-bred clowns at a lfs. In this case, I think Petco was doing a good thing having tank-bred as their survival is much higher than wild-caught.

MarinaP
02/10/2008, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11810142#post11810142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by garygb
Unfortunately now I don't know anywhere to get tank-bred clowns at a lfs.

There are breeders in CA - Morgman is in Corona, rsman is in La Mesa. I would think they sell to LFSs.

tedr
02/10/2008, 09:42 AM
I suspect that you may begin to see more tank bred at your LFS's. With the volumn Petco ordered, they probably got one heck of a discount from ORA. A local LFS could not compete with that discount. I would think local breeders can now fill the void, so you may see more of them in the LFS and give the local breeders an outlet to sell their tank breds. Shipping from the ORA facility will result in some fatalities. Buying from a local breeder should bring that down to almost zero fatalities.

Ophidia
02/10/2008, 11:43 AM
They still have them at our local Petco. They're covered with ich and miscellaneous bacterial infections all of the time, of course, but they do have them.

The only bank of salt tanks that doesn't have ich in it is the one they rarely have fish in. In all of the others, 90% of the fish are infected. It sucks.

I used to work there too. Fortunately I wasn't in charge of the fish (small animals and reptiles) so I can't claim any responsibility for that. It wasn't as bad, then, though; probably because there were UV sterilizers on the old system.

I usually drive to Minneapolis for any livestock I need other than snails and crustaceans.

garygb
02/10/2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for responding. I hope you're right Ted.
Ophidia, sounds like it will be a good thing when/if the Petco near stops carrying clowns.

GSMguy
02/10/2008, 04:28 PM
My petco is full of "True Misbar percula" and Ocellaris labelled as "True percula."