PDA

View Full Version : the best carbon and phosphate media?

Txcowboy22
02/10/2008, 01:16 AM
whats the best carbon and phosphate media? I am using chemipure elite right now and I am not sold on it. I do't have a sump so I need something I can throw into my hob filter..

Mel-E-Mel
02/10/2008, 01:24 AM
tagging along. Want to see what carbon evryones using.

xenon
02/10/2008, 01:26 AM
Black Diamond is the best carbon.

Not sure about phosphate media thou.

Dack77
02/10/2008, 01:50 AM
Everything I have read on phosphate media is that its all essentially the same. Phosban, Rowaphos, and the bulk stuff from bulkreefsupply will all work fine. You will notice a price difference between them all though, but as for working the best, one isnt going to completely blow the other out the window. I am curious though as to how much difference there is in the high capacity gfo compared to the normal gfo.

As for carbon, Seachem matrix, Elos marine carbon, Rox carbon are all good. I am sure there are others, hopefully more will chime in on this.

Txcowboy22
02/10/2008, 01:57 AM
so what about chemi pure elite?

murraycamp
02/10/2008, 08:00 AM
Due to space constrictions, I have changes from running carbon and GFO separately to Pura complete. I tried the Chemipure elite but was still getting some phosphate readings. The Pura product (which is similar to Chemipure Elite in that it has carbon+gfo+an ion exchange resin) appears to have more GFO in it.

I have found the Pura Complete to be more effective. I had a few tablespoons of carbon (I use Hydrocarbon) into the mix and change the media weekly.

Hope that helps.

pjf
02/10/2008, 09:14 AM
For GFO, I use PHOSaR-HC because it is dense and durable. For GAC, I use ROX 0.8 because it has plenty of surface area and little dust. Both media rinse easily with less than a gallon of water through the reactor.

tkeracer619
02/10/2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/

Doubt you can actually claim anything is the best since that is one of the most loaded questions you can ask.

I use the cheaper carbon from bulksupply and its far better than any carbon I purchased at the pet store, is very cheap, and is from a reliable source. The GFO from bulksupply is the same stuff sold for half the price. Last time I ordered I picked up 50lb's of carbon and 20lbs of GFO. I recomend them.

twon8
02/10/2008, 10:43 AM
the rox 0.8 carbon from bulkreefsupply, almost no dust, tiny size pellets.

Runfrumu
02/10/2008, 11:59 AM
I was using black diamond but have switched to the two-part solutions carbon. As far a GFO I have used phos-ban, the dr f&s brand, and the two-part solution brand. They are all basically the same so I go with who's cheaper which is the 2 part solution brand on that as well.