PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer???

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 09:29 AM
I have an Ocanic Plus 4 skimmer, its old built in 1996. It is not producing much skimmate. The skimmate that that is being produced is dark geeen and has a sweet smell. The tank numbers
are good and water looks good, everyone is happy. I am thinking about replacing the skimmer though, this is a skimmer I am looking at:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Fission-Power-Skimmers+I42908102+C43.aspx

Its afordable and current usa makes good products from what I have seen in the past. Has anyone else used or currently using this skimmer? Any ideas on the green skimmate?

smcdonn
02/10/2008, 09:33 AM
Honestly I don't know much about these skimmers. Although if your looking for "bang for the buck", ASM makes some good in sump skimmers. They are basically a knock off of the Euro-reef skimmers, although they don't use Acrylic bodies.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 09:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11810165#post11810165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smcdonn
Honestly I don't know much about these skimmers. Although if your looking for "bang for the buck", ASM makes some good in sump skimmers. They are basically a knock off of the Euro-reef skimmers, although they don't use Acrylic bodies.

I looked at the ASM skimmers the problem is i dont have room in my sump for one. The one I whould need is 240.00. Thats also a problem for funds are starting to run low. The Fission can mount outside the sump and is rated for 110 gallons.

Thank You for the ideas. Unless some one thinks that the ASM Mini G Skimmer whould work? It seems a little under rated for my system. I have 90 gallons of water. If so I may be able to make room or change some baffles around.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 09:58 AM
I found 1 review on the fission:
New Skimmer by DOUG
Experience Level: Intermediate
Posted on 11/4/2007 from CRANBURY, NJ UNITED STATES

Comments: Good skimmer for price, works great so far. If you have limited space in you sump or need a good HOB skimmer it is worth buying. Doug
Yes, I would recommend this product to my friends.

I whould like to find someone on RC using it though. The advice that I get here has been great, I have developed trust as well as you get many different views on everything.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 10:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11810165#post11810165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smcdonn

What model are you using? Does it have a way to adjust water level inside the body of the skimmer?

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 11:14 AM
ASM Mini-G Protein Skimmer

Does anybody know if this skimmer whould be large enough for my system? I have about 85 gallons of water.

luke33
02/10/2008, 12:27 PM
The bermuda 3c has a small footprint and would most likely skim circles around the current. Current has yet to come out with a skimmer that will skim worth a hoot at this point. And you can buy these skimmers on ebay brand new from 99-130 bux all day.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11811308#post11811308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
The bermuda 3c has a small footprint and would most likely skim circles around the current. Current has yet to come out with a skimmer that will skim worth a hoot at this point. And you can buy these skimmers on ebay brand new from 99-130 bux all day.

Do you know anything about the ASM skimmers? Thank you for the info on the bermuda 3c.

photobret
02/10/2008, 03:27 PM
I have to emphasise this point: A skimmer should be one of the more expensive purchases, believe me if I add up how much I have spent on skimmers I probably could have just bought a Bubble King. My LFS www.vividaquariums.com swears by ASM and use them on all their tanks. Very good skimmer for the money, check for second hand deals on skimmers on this site. Also have a look at the Octopus range they are also amazing for the price. Be wary of manufacturer claims too, a skimmer rated for 125gal is probably only good for a 70gal also depends on your bio load.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11812468#post11812468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by photobret
I have to emphasise this point: A skimmer should be one of the more expensive purchases, believe me if I add up how much I have spent on skimmers I probably could have just bought a Bubble King. My LFS www.vividaquariums.com swears by ASM and use them on all their tanks. Very good skimmer for the money, check for second hand deals on skimmers on this site. Also have a look at the Octopus range they are also amazing for the price. Be wary of manufacturer claims too, a skimmer rated for 125gal is probably only good for a 70gal also depends on your bio load.

Cool Thank you!!!! I think I am going to go with the ASM G-1.
A little over kill but I think it will be worth the money. I will make the chandes need to fit it in the sump, no big deal. I got a tape messure out and checked it out it will be tight but will fit fine. I will have more skimmer than I will ever need. I have some rock in there, but dont think its needed since I have 150lbs in the tank.

Thanks again!!!!!

luke33
02/10/2008, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't go with an asm they are low quality build and you pay to much for them. If your looking for something that will handle your 75g tank they get a octo ps150 from premium aquatics. It pulls 450lph air and will be a nice fit for that size tank. It would kill a g1 hands down.

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 04:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11812778#post11812778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
I wouldn't go with an asm they are low quality build and you pay to much for them. If your looking for something that will handle your 75g tank they get a octo ps150 from premium aquatics. It pulls 450lph air and will be a nice fit for that size tank. It would kill a g1 hands down.

Is the water level adjustable? My sump runs at about 12". Price looks good.

Thanks!

mikesommers
02/10/2008, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11812778#post11812778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33

Nerver mind should have read a little more. Got any good pointers on a chiller that wont brake the bank but gets the job done? I live in GA and allready have some heat issues and it has not eaven got warm yet. Need about a 15 degree drop or more on 90 gallons.

luke33
02/10/2008, 04:38 PM
It needs to be ran in 8-10" of consistent water level. If thats the only issue then get a little something thats 2-4" and set it on top of it.

luke33
02/10/2008, 04:39 PM
DO you have any fans running on your MH's ?

smcdonn
02/10/2008, 04:40 PM
I have the ASM mini-g on my 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. Don't think it could handle your size system. The G-1 wouldn't be a bad option. Don't forget to check the for sale section here. You can usually come across a good deal.